"FUSE #27" Oh sh-- Moment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Short version: On I40 going 80 mph in far left lane, tried to accelerate past a couple cars to set up for upcoming exit. Raptor fell flat on it's face and the engine had died with a big yellow wrench on the dash. I was able to pull onto the left shoulder next to the center barrier safely but my wife and sister were not to thrilled with the situation. Four lanes of traffic on both sides of us and me with a dead truck is not an ideal situation to be in.

Bottom line: Don't be like me, "DO THE FUSE #27 RELOCATION TSB"

Final thought: Stop bitchn already, I know I've had the relocation kit for some time now but it just became priority one.

D

Deleted member 12951

I really don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t just do this by now. We bought our Raptor’s near the same time and I did the Fuse 27 back in 2016 when the kit first came out. I knew if I didn’t it was going to happen at the worst possible time, that’s just my typical luck. I know that some off-road trips like to Baja require that it be done. Why Ford doesn’t do this as a recall is still a mystery to me.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t just do this by now. We bought our Raptor’s near the same time and I did the Fuse 27 back in 2016 when the kit first came out. I knew if I didn’t it was going to happen at the worst possible time, that’s just my typical luck. I know that some off-road trips like to Baja require that it be done. Why Ford doesn’t do this as a recall is still a mystery to me.

My thoughts exactly as I stood in the middle of the highway wondering if the fuse could be replaced and get me going again.

raptr1

Reaction score
Got mine done a few weeks ago in about 30min. Standing looking at the oem small fuse and was thinking if it’s worth cutting the factory wire when the fuse looks fine......... finally looked at it enough and made a snip, no going back now. Small effort for a piece of mind.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This needs to be a recall!
Stories like these make me glad I did it myself a few years back. It gives me assurance I’ll never get stranded or worse.
I won’t lie, it was a little nerve racking cutting into the birds nest of wires but the YouTube video helped tremendously.

NM156

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer do mine way back when during a oil change visit. I had to pay for the fix since there wasn't a recall but for peace of mind it was worth. Didn't want to have an "oh shit" moment especially with a family member on board.

BMONTES

Reaction score
My kit comes in tomorrow. I’m pretty useless under the hood, but the dealer quoted me $400 to do it. So the cheapskate in me said hell no. Anybody see an issue with me using this self soldering heat shrink tube in place of the included heat shrink tube?2EF6EBF2-04C5-4A93-BB9E-A0795057F372.png BEBF01EB-1A7B-47A9-A74D-0AE10006CD22.png

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kit comes in tomorrow. I’m pretty useless under the hood, but the dealer quoted me $400 to do it. So the cheapskate in me said hell no. Anybody see an issue with me using this self soldering heat shrink tube in place of the included heat shrink tube?View attachment 165398 View attachment 165397

I see no problem with using either!
What’s your reasoning behind not using what’s supplied in the kit?
Btw, it should be 1 hour labor
What a joke!

BMONTES

Reaction score
I see no problem with using either!
What’s your reasoning behind not using what’s supplied in the kit?
Btw, it should be 1 hour labor
What a joke!

I’ve used them before on another project. I just like the idea, they are easy to use and I don’t need to work with a soldering iron. But just wanted to run it through forum, before I went ahead.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It w
I’ve used them before on another project. I just like the idea, they are easy to use and I don’t need to work with a soldering iron. But just wanted to run it through forum, before I went ahead.
It would be nice if ford supplied what you have...either way $400 is insane from the dealer.
Just follow the YouTube vid and it’s easy as pie!