Fuse 27 Just Blew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSkunks

Reaction score
So my ‘14 with 111k miles was sitting in my driveway for the past 3 days without being driven. We’ve had some really hot days recently but this car has always been a Florida car so I can’t imagine the heat it what finally did it.

Only other thing I can think of is that since I’ve owned it, I put 87 octane. I decided last week I would start putting Shell 93. Maybe since the energy density of 93 is slightly lower, the fuel pump had to work just a little bit harder getting fuel into the engine and finally made it go. I checked the fuse 6 months ago and it was nice and shiny.

Anyways, I grabbed my keys today, hit the auto start from inside the house to get my AC going while I put my shoes on. I open the door and hear no engine. So I give it another go and all I hear is starter noise. Was cranking pretty hard so I knew it wasn’t the battery, maybe some sort of remote start lock out? Get in the car, crank the engine.. nope. Open my glove box and luckily I ordered a 20a fuse a couple months back before a rode trip. I know sometimes it burns it so bad a new fuse won’t help, but it was a couple of cents.

The second I open fuse box, I can see the 20a has a slight burn on it. I start to take it out and sure enough, one ended is completely burned but I was able to get it out in one piece. In goes the new fuse and she came back to life.

I instantly ordered the fuse 27 kit, but it won’t be here until Wednesday.

Now that it happened, after 111k miles, what are the chances it happens in the next couple of days with a new fuse?

I’ve seen the videos, while it might seem easy for some, I’m not sure I feel like digging into the fuse box. What would a small shop charge me to do something like this? An hour of labor?

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2014 last year with 55K on it....was really surprised the original owner never changed it cause he was **** with keeping it mint and like new,so I figured better do it before it goes out on me at the worst possible time......I to bought the kit (around $28) and was going to do myself,but like you figured dont want to deal with all the wires,and if I screw up its gonna cost me way more....SO...yes..took it to local shop and it took them around 1 hr and cost me $75 with tax out the door......
Find a good local shop....dont let them BS you..its a 1 hr billing job......unless you go to the Stealer-Ship...then figure $125 +
Good luck.....

Last edited:

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my ‘14 with 111k miles was sitting in my driveway for the past 3 days without being driven. We’ve had some really hot days recently but this car has always been a Florida car so I can’t imagine the heat it what finally did it.

Only other thing I can think of is that since I’ve owned it, I put 87 octane. I decided last week I would start putting Shell 93. Maybe since the energy density of 93 is slightly lower, the fuel pump had to work just a little bit harder getting fuel into the engine and finally made it go. I checked the fuse 6 months ago and it was nice and shiny.

Anyways, I grabbed my keys today, hit the auto start from inside the house to get my AC going while I put my shoes on. I open the door and hear no engine. So I give it another go and all I hear is starter noise. Was cranking pretty hard so I knew it wasn’t the battery, maybe some sort of remote start lock out? Get in the car, crank the engine.. nope. Open my glove box and luckily I ordered a 20a fuse a couple months back before a rode trip. I know sometimes it burns it so bad a new fuse won’t help, but it was a couple of cents.

The second I open fuse box, I can see the 20a has a slight burn on it. I start to take it out and sure enough, one ended is completely burned but I was able to get it out in one piece. In goes the new fuse and she came back to life.

I instantly ordered the fuse 27 kit, but it won’t be here until Wednesday.

Now that it happened, after 111k miles, what are the chances it happens in the next couple of days with a new fuse?

I’ve seen the videos, while it might seem easy for some, I’m not sure I feel like digging into the fuse box. What would a small shop charge me to do something like this? An hour of labor?

Following your progress.

Just turned over 102k on my ‘14. Pretty sure it doesn’t have it done. Going to TX from IL in September, should probably do it so I don’t get stuck on the way.

Thanks for the reminder!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Octane doesn't necessarily effect energy density unless the octane is being boosted by ethanol, in consumer terms its just an expression of detonation resistance. These trucks are designed to run on 10% ethanol low grade fuel, pig iron -- not race car.

You also don't need any sort of soldering kit, the whole thing can be done with a small butane torch and the instructions from the ford kit. Just wrap the wires with solder, melt with torch, slide heat shrink over, shrink with torch. No fancy torch either, I carry a cheap cigar lighter with some electrical tape and solder wrapped around it as my electrical repair kit. The added benefit is if I want a cigar I have the torch in my console :p.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 10 SCAB with 93k on it. I bought the kit and it seems like my wires on the fuse box are shorter than normal and those clips on the box are a pain to open.

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine done last week. Mine is a '13 with 41k on it and no sign of issues on the 27 fuse. I figured I'd get it fixed before I was stranded somewhere. I was going to do it myself but I didn't feel like messing with all the wires, had the dealer do it. 1 hour, $125 including the part.

Gmen

Reaction score
How do I know if my Raptor had this done prior to me buying it. Is there anyway for me to check I have a bunch of bigger fuses in the extra spots but I have feeling they could be for the extras he’s added on. Thanks guys