GEN 1 Fuse 16: HID - Passenger Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've scoured the internet trying to figure this one out, but no luck so I am hoping to get some assistance here.
I recently did a couple of upgrades to my wife's 2013 SCREW.
- Sync 3 system
- Spyder Headlights

This could be a coincidence but since installing both, the passenger headlight intermittently stays on after the truck has been shut off, to the point where we've got to pull fuse 16 to prevent a dead battery. I've replaced the headlight thinking it could've been the wiring harness and replaced the fuse. After replacing the headlight, all was good for roughly a week, but didn't stick.
he next step I'm planning on is running through FOREscan and re-inputting all of the codes.

Has anyone ran into this issue?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This sounds like a sticking relay to me. Did the new headlights include a relay in the harness? If so I would replace it or switch them side to side to see if the problem moves. I am not familiar with those headlights so a picture of the install or a link to what's in the box would help.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have received a defective headlamp. On factory HID headlamp equipped trucks, the ballast receives Hot at All Times power from Fuse 16 in the BJB. When the headlamp switch is turned on, the BCM provides power to the headlamp on a separate circuit, which turns on the ballast. If the ballast is defective, it can continue to remain on by drawing off the hot at all times circuit (VT/RD, Pin 2 at the headlamp) even after the BCM has removed power from the control circuit.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Do you know if the ballasts prone to failure?

Did the headlamps come with new ballasts or did you have to swap over the originals? It’s also possible for the circuits in the headlight to be shorted together, which will result in the same issue.

OP
OP
IamRonBurgandy
Reaction score
Update - replaced the ballasts and bulbs, not the ballasts. I am now thinking it may be a programming issue as I installed a Sync 3 system, so down the rabbit hole on Forscan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk