Fulltime 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What articles?
I'm searching and this is one of the articles I read before:

Statements from each article:

If you order a regular F-150 Raptor, Ford fits it with the 3.5-liter turbocharged EcoBoost V6. The truck puts this 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque to the ground through a unique full-time 4WD system.

Automakers are currently advertising several modern vehicles with full time 4WD. These include some Jeeps and off-road trucks such as the Ram 1500 TRX and Ford F-150 Raptor. These vehicles have no 2WD mode, so they are in 4WD…full-time.

I'm not able to find the other one that I've seen talk about the full time 4wd. Again, I'm glad I'm wrong about this. The poster earlier that showed the video with the 2H mode puts all this to rest, thank God.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm searching and this is one of the articles I read before:

Statements from each article:

If you order a regular F-150 Raptor, Ford fits it with the 3.5-liter turbocharged EcoBoost V6. The truck puts this 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque to the ground through a unique full-time 4WD system.

That's incorrect on multiple levels. Raptor is 450 HP, 510 lb-ft torque, and is most definitely not full time 4WD. That's just incredibly bad journalism. Almost want to know where author pulled the numbers from.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but AWD does not mean that all 4 are powered all the time. I understand it to be in 2WD unless slippage is observed by the computer (front wheels then engaged).

No. 4auto is AWD with the front driven through an electronic clutch. If you watch the Power Distribution you see that the rear gets ALL the applied engine power and the front generally gets less until you increase load, or power demand, then the clutch is applied 100%.

If you’re just cruising at steady speed on the highway, you are pretty much RWD.

This 4A or AWD feature is/was unique to the F150 trucks. The fiat brand just went full 4WD on their heavy-assed junk.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is it so many articles on Google regarding the Raptor R talk about full time 4wd?
It couldn't possibly be people lightly editing their clickbait TRX articles, could it? I thought the internet couldn't go any farther down hill, but every review site I've hit in the last year was written in Chinglish. The only place I go for reviews any more are forums. Pretty soon those will probably be flooded with fake posts, too.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It couldn't possibly be people lightly editing their clickbait TRX articles, could it? I thought the internet couldn't go any farther down hill, but every review site I've hit in the last year was written in Chinglish. The only place I go for reviews any more are forums. Pretty soon those will probably be flooded with fake posts, too.

Naw, FBI raided all the forums the other day. :)

WEJER

Reaction score
Too funny reading these... Own Gen1 / Gen2 and my son has TRX.

Sorry to state the obvious but the TRX will always eat the Raptor, especially on pavement and drag race in dirt even when swapping drivers. At Baja desert speed the the Raptor wins most the time... TRX can't handle the power distribution and won't keep up with the Raptor's tuned balance and manageable power.

Can't wait to get my R, sure hope the Performance Team at Ford get it right with 37's, suspension, and the new transmission for usable power.