Fuel Pump Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BT, let's start with the simple things......when you turn the ignition to key on engine off, does the theft light icon on the instrument panel flash rapidly? If so, it is a PATS (passive anti-theft system) problem related to the transceiver receiving an invalid key code. Try using your other key as suggested above. If the light is coming on solid and not flashing, then this can be eliminated. The next two things needed are fuel and spark. Try turning the key to on and listening for the fuel pump (an audible hum). It will run for 2-3 seconds and shut off when the key is turned to key on engine off position. If no hum is heard, refer to your owners manual in the "roadside emergencies" section and locate your fuel pump fuse and relay. Beyond that, you may have to have your dealer check it. PM me if you need additional help.

FSM

OP
OP
FlounderStalker

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BT, let's start with the simple things......when you turn the ignition to key on engine off, does the theft light icon on the instrument panel flash rapidly? If so, it is a PATS (passive anti-theft system) problem related to the transceiver receiving an invalid key code. Try using your other key as suggested above. If the light is coming on solid and not flashing, then this can be eliminated. The next two things needed are fuel and spark. Try turning the key to on and listening for the fuel pump (an audible hum). It will run for 2-3 seconds and shut off when the key is turned to key on engine off position. If no hum is heard, refer to your owners manual in the "roadside emergencies" section and locate your fuel pump fuse and relay. Beyond that, you may have to have your dealer check it. PM me if you need additional help.

FSM

Well then it's not the key and i don't hear the fuel pump running. I think she'll have to take a ride on the tow truck down to the dealer on Tuesday. Thanks for the information.

UPDATE: Checked the fuse #27 and changed the relay #8 - still nothing. I did stumble across a blow fuse #31 for Trailer tow park lamp relay. That could explain why my trailer lights didn't work last week.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then it's not the key and i don't hear the fuel pump running. I think she'll have to take a ride on the tow truck down to the dealer on Tuesday. Thanks for the information.

UPDATE: Checked the fuse #27 and changed the relay #8 - still nothing. I did stumble across a blow fuse #31 for Trailer tow park lamp relay. That could explain why my trailer lights didn't work last week.

Did you try banging on the bottom of the tank while someone cranks on it? A rubber mallet works good but the palm of your hand will due. May not get it to start but if it does then you know you have a bad motor in your fuel pump.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
try moving the wires around the fuel pump, any kind of quick connects could be loose. also engine compartment. I'll bet loose connection somewhere.
keep us posted.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try the bang job?

It works pretty well IF the pump motor has flat spots on the armature brushes. Which happens.... But apparently FlounderStalker doesn't like my idea because he wont reply to me:crazy: Guess he thinks I'm pulling this theory out of my ass?

Would it make any difference if I told you I'm ASE master certified, Chrysler 5 star gold certified, GM Master certified, Graduated with a degree in Science and Automotive Technology, certified in areas for both Ford and Toyota, and even certified to repair laminated glass (windshields)???