Fuel Injector Failure + Bad Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRptr

Reaction score
Well, yesterday was a rough day for the Red Raptor (2022 MY 35 Package w/ 13.5k miles). Driving along, had been running fine all day, and all of a sudden everything gets shuddering and weird. Felt like I was going over rough pavement, but went away when I let off the throttle. When I gave it gas, shudder came back. All drivetrain and engine components are stock.

I pull over, park, and turn off. Visual external inspection shows no damage (or flats). Restart seems to run fine until…ten seconds down the road later? Shuddering again. Engine light. Ford Pass notice for fuel injector failure (later found out it was cylinders 1 AND 5!)

Manage to pull into a parking lot. Call Ford Roadside for a tow to the dealership. Well…

They bring a rear wheel lift tow truck (old school). The guy tows it while I’m inside my office building, and no special prep was done to it other than lifting it up by the rear tires and securing the steering wheel with the seat belt.

Well…I think that ****** something up. When we got to the dealership, the dash lit up with every warning imaginable. Traction control, hill descent, suspension, transmission, etc.

It did pull forward into the spot, but I turned it off immediately. So now it’s at the dealership.

So, my question is, how bad might it be ****** up? Is it just a computer thing where it freaked out that the wheels were moving? Or is there something they have to do in order to rear wheel lift tow the truck? I did find the ford guidance for MY 2022 that indicates Raptor’s are only to be flatbed towed, so I was already livid after learning that. But did they seriously screw up something? Is there anything I should have the dealership inspect?

Thanks in advance for listening to my rambling. It’s been a long day…

Attachments

• EE4AA7BC-0C0C-437D-81FD-FA6906C771D8.jpeg
    EE4AA7BC-0C0C-437D-81FD-FA6906C771D8.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 30

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a flat tow setting for dragging behind motor homes. Hopefully the to truck driver knows about it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Gingers... They can be a little dramatic.
you weren’t in 4a by any chance when they towed?

There’s probably a simple explanation, hopefully a quick and simple fix.

Nolo0125

Reaction score
Well, yesterday was a rough day for the Red Raptor (2022 MY 35 Package w/ 13.5k miles). Driving along, had been running fine all day, and all of a sudden everything gets shuddering and weird. Felt like I was going over rough pavement, but went away when I let off the throttle. When I gave it gas, shudder came back. All drivetrain and engine components are stock.

I pull over, park, and turn off. Visual external inspection shows no damage (or flats). Restart seems to run fine until…ten seconds down the road later? Shuddering again. Engine light. Ford Pass notice for fuel injector failure (later found out it was cylinders 1 AND 5!)

Manage to pull into a parking lot. Call Ford Roadside for a tow to the dealership. Well…

They bring a rear wheel lift tow truck (old school). The guy tows it while I’m inside my office building, and no special prep was done to it other than lifting it up by the rear tires and securing the steering wheel with the seat belt.

Well…I think that ****** something up. When we got to the dealership, the dash lit up with every warning imaginable. Traction control, hill descent, suspension, transmission, etc.

It did pull forward into the spot, but I turned it off immediately. So now it’s at the dealership.

So, my question is, how bad might it be ****** up? Is it just a computer thing where it freaked out that the wheels were moving? Or is there something they have to do in order to rear wheel lift tow the truck? I did find the ford guidance for MY 2022 that indicates Raptor’s are only to be flatbed towed, so I was already livid after learning that. But did they seriously screw up something? Is there anything I should have the dealership inspect?

Thanks in advance for listening to my rambling. It’s been a long day…
Since I flat tow my Raptor behind my RV, maybe the tow guy should have done that to your truck to disengage the electronic transfer case and then on 2 wheels would have been OK. With the truck not being on and the transmission moving without lubricant May be a problem on top of your other ones. Hopefully it’s OK if not towed to far.

OP
OP
RedRptr

RedRptr

Reaction score
Since I flat tow my Raptor behind my RV, maybe the tow guy should have done that to your truck to disengage the electronic transfer case and then on 2 wheels would have been OK. With the truck not being on and the transmission moving without lubricant May be a problem on top of your other ones. Hopefully it’s OK if not towed to far.
Yeah, he definitely didn’t know. He did nothing special to the truck. I am mostly certain the truck was in 2H but didn’t get a chance to check before he was off to the races.

Total tow distance was about 15 miles.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What was the misfire fix? Was it 2 bad fuel injectors? That seems very unlikely on a brand-new truck. Maybe just a bad plug in just one of those cylinders?

OP
OP
RedRptr

RedRptr

Reaction score
Following up: two direct injectors (cylinders 2 and 5) replaced. They passed load testing but ford directed replacement due to their intermittent operation.

Tech believes some water may have gotten to / around the PCM and caused a temporary short, which fried the injector(s). Unsubstantiated other than some minor evidence of water near the PCM area.

Truck is running normally now.