Fuel guage errors between 3/4 and 1/2 tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't find a thread on this so may be this is a new one. A couple weeks back, I swapped my battery out for a new one. Well, since then, the truck registers an incorrect fuel reading if I start driving with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. At the moment I crank it up, it seems to have an accurate fuel reading but, over the course of the 30 mile commute to work, I'll often watch the distance to empty and fuel level fall at a rate that would make you think someone shot a hole in the tank.

As an example, the first time this happened, I left the house with about 2/3rds of a tank and some 300 miles to go. By the time I got 25 miles out, the truck reported that I was down to 39 miles to go and the needle had fallen down to under a 1/4 tank. Thinking I was leaking fuel, I pulled over and could find no sign of a leak. When I cranked the truck up again, I was still showing less than a quarter tank but, curiously, as I drove toward the nearest gas station, the gas gauge indicated I was "adding" gas as I drove and the DTE kept climbing until it got to almost 60 miles. Filling the tank, I could only put in about 18 gallons. which makes sense given the amount of fuel I would have burned on the way to work that morning and the amount of fuel in the tank when I left home.

Well in the weeks since then, the behavior had continued. Whenever the truck has 1/2 to 3/4 tank, the gas gauge will drop as if there's a huge fuel leak. I've been just driving through it when it happens few the last couple weeks and if the truck is left alone for an hour or so, when it cranks up, the fuel level has come back up to where it should be. But sometimes it will exhibit the false leak behavior described earlier. I'm thinking this might be a fuel sending unit problem or something that I might be able to correct by disconnecting the battery again.

Any thoughts?

intow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find out what was going on here? Mine did the same thing to me twice now. Goes from 3/4 to almost empty in about 20 miles. Then slowly starts creeping back up. I stopped and filled up the first time just to be safe. Took 8 gallons to fill it up showing 10 miles left to empty.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done this before too. I was in the mountains so I assumed it had something to do with going up hill for an extended period then down hill for an extended period. But it was a pretty large swing about like yours. That was the first time it happened. About 3 weeks ago

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has done this before too. I was in the mountains so I assumed it had something to do with going up hill for an extended period then down hill for an extended period. But it was a pretty large swing about like yours. That was the first time it happened. About 3 weeks ago

There ain't no mountains in Florida, foo!!! :ROFLJest:

Raptor1957

Reaction score
We have a 2014 Raptor same thing scares the crap out of you, and no mountains just flat road seems to be a Ford issue!