Fuegos v. New XLs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Guys, I'm just wondering if the new XL80 and Racer edition are catching up to the Fuego HIDs as far as distance projection. Which of the 3 is going to make the best hood mount long distance spot?

Thanks,
K

jocdmd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Kahuna, Merry Christmas. I have the fuegos now and I am switching to either the XL 80 or racer. I had issues with condensation in my fuegos and figured I'd give the LEDs a try. Baja Designs is a great company with excellent customer service - call and talk with Bailey or Christian.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have my XL racers mounted up any day now. I'll post up some distance pictures when I do. Supposedly they throw light 40% further compared to the 80s

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the decision is really down to Fuegos or XL Racers then.

I imagine the Fuegos have a little more distance but the downsides are:
  1. heavier and therefore probably vibrate more
  2. warm up time of HID
  3. possible condensation issues

?

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Yeah but it seems they are too lazy to be working Christmas day! Unbelievable. :alone:

Merry Christmas all.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the decision is really down to Fuegos or XL Racers then.

I imagine the Fuegos have a little more distance but the downsides are:
  1. heavier and therefore probably vibrate more
  2. warm up time of HID
  3. possible condensation issues

?

They stopped offering the 50w option on the HIDs as well.

The HID's do pull more power on startup then the LED's.
My XL80's put out alot more light then my KC 35w HID's did and those were a 6" reflector. While they HID's did have a long throw it was VERY narrow and no where near as bright as the spots I have now.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kahuna,
Merry Christmas!
Start with the ALTERNATIVE OFF ROAD hood mounts. You could put cinder blocks on them and not see any vibration.
Warm up for the HID's is a second or so...They do draw more current than the LED's on start up; but that lasts again only a few seconds.
HID's throw useable light further than LED's still; though the gap is closing.
In most of the comparisons I have seen, including those posted here, the larger the reflector, the better the distance of useable light.
LED's pulsate the light and appear much brighter; however the usefulness of that bright light diminishes with distance.
What do you want? Flood or driving toss up; distance, (spot), HID's still are the best.
Eddie