FSA 21N08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I apologize if the format was incorrect but I did want to ask a question. Are you stating that poorly maintained vehicles are affected by this issue? My problem is that I had this issue and coincidentally dropped my truck off at a dealer, to get this issue fixed, yesterday morning right before the new FSA was issued. In addition, I am obsessed with my vehicle and spend a lot of time, money and energy maintaining it. Luckily, the new FSA fixed my issue. However, I am concerned that this community could be making assumptions about other people’s vehicles without any information.

FSA 21N08 only exists as coverage for vehicles that exhibit a shudder concern after 21B10. If you have 21B10 completed without issue, 21N08 does not apply and can be ignored. As far as maintenance goes, lack of it and/or poor quality filtration/lubrication or low oil level can cause journal damage.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018, just got the same notice. The first software update was performed on my 2018 three weeks ago and did not solve the issue. Im meticulous about my oil changes, every 4000-5000 miles using Amsoil 100% synthetic. What is my next option? I appreciate the help…

If you still have a phaser rattle noise on cold start after 21B10, 21N03 applies. FSA 21N03 has the dealer replace the phasers.

Teraflx

Reaction score
FSA 21N08 only exists as coverage for vehicles that exhibit a shudder concern after 21B10. If you have 21B10 completed without issue, 21N08 does not apply and can be ignored. As far as maintenance goes, lack of it and/or poor quality filtration/lubrication or low oil level can cause journal damage.
So would you avoid a used 2020 that had both the 21B10 and the 21N08 done? I am looking at one now and both show on the CARFAX.

3/2/2021
  • Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM
    • FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

9/13/2021
    • Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised these software updates were performed on a 2020 Raptor as it has the updated/latest cam phasers. To answer your question…no I would not avoid this Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So would you avoid a used 2020 that had both the 21B10 and the 21N08 done? I am looking at one now and both show on the CARFAX.

3/2/2021
    • Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM
    • FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE

9/13/2021
    • Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER
No...there is a difference between an actionable update (21B10) and extended coverage (21N08). All included vehicles will show both on an OASIS or Carfax, but that doesn't mean 21N08 needs to be completed. Due to regulatory requirements, both will show regardless.

Teraflx

Reaction score
No...there is a difference between an actionable update (21B10) and extended coverage (21N08). All included vehicles will show both on an OASIS or Carfax, but that doesn't mean 21N08 needs to be completed. Due to regulatory requirements, both will show regardless.
Good to know! I thought if it showed like that on the Carfax it meant it was done. I started getting scared because every one I was looking at had the Cam Phaser work done (So I thought). So if you don't see that maintenance listed on the Carfax does that mean it hasn't been performed? I don't trust a dealer to tell me straight. See example below on the Cam Phaser for example, they never mention any maintenance or repairs after if was listed...

Capture.JPG

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know! I thought if it showed like that on the Carfax it meant it was done. I started getting scared because every one I was looking at had the Cam Phaser work done (So I thought). So if you don't see that maintenance listed on the Carfax does that mean it hasn't been performed? I don't trust a dealer to tell me straight. See example below on the Cam Phaser for example, they never mention any maintenance or repairs after if was listed...

View attachment 319507

Carfax is 3rd party; not sure how their system works in terms of documenting when a recall gets performed. But I would think it would appear as a line item with the mileage. Buying used is always a gamble.

svt10th

Reaction score
My 2018 had the shudder after the dealer did the 21B10, Back it goes for the 21N08
Anything I should watch for after its completed?

jeanco

2019 scab
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have done Program #21B10.never had rattlles from start
still on Ford pass have 2 more recalls:
21N03 :extended warranty till 2025?
21N08CM reprogram due to engine suhdder :no apply if you had done 21B10.
from my ford technician.