GEN 2 FSA 21B10 (Cam Phasers) and a tune (Phishing?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to the stealership for the first time. It was for cam phaser rattle and possessed side mirrors. I successfully uninstalled my @GooseTuned days before this. They call me back at the end of the day and asked me if I have an aftermarket tune installed. I promptly told them that I did not know what that was. The guys said, "The service tech was wondering because he can't install the ECM update and he noticed some extra wires underneath the dash." I told them the extra wires under the dash were the FoMoCo perimeter alarm. Has anyone with a tune had issues with the FSA 21B10 update after uninstalling their tune. Do you think the stealership is just phishing for a reason to void my warranty? I hate stealerships!

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a similar post recently with the same issue. Make sure you're uninstalling the accessport and not just flashing stage 0

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I took my truck to the stealership for the first time. It was for cam phaser rattle and possessed side mirrors. I successfully uninstalled my @GooseTuned days before this. They call me back at the end of the day and asked me if I have an aftermarket tune installed. I promptly told them that I did not know what that was. The guys said, "The service tech was wondering because he can't install the ECM update and he noticed some extra wires underneath the dash." I told them the extra wires under the dash were the FoMoCo perimeter alarm. Has anyone with a tune had issues with the FSA 21B10 update after uninstalling their tune. Do you think the stealership is just phishing for a reason to void my warranty? I hate stealerships!

As long as the Accessport has uninstalled successfully (says "install" after the uninstall) the dealer can write the truck. If the Accessport was not uninstalled properly then that may be the case, but it's likely not.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They most likely saw the key cycle. A flash / reflash I believe resets it to zero. @FordTechOne can verify that. If you have say a 2 year old truck, they would expect to see maybe 600-900 key cycles. If you refreshed a few days before, they would see maybe 4-6. Either that or you screwed up the back to factory. Either way, you need to come clean to them.

OP
OP
Chris Mies

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not ruling out that I botched the uninstall, but it did say the uninstall was successful. I just got a call back and they are going to install a new PCM and re-flash. The "wires under the dash" comment told me that the tech really didn't know much about a tune so I guess I got lucky.

I accepted this risk when I chose to tune the truck and I have the financial means to deal with any repercussions. No regrets. You gotta pay to play. Thanks @GooseTuned!

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not ruling out that I botched the uninstall, but it did say the uninstall was successful. I just got a call back and they are going to install a new PCM and re-flash. The "wires under the dash" comment told me that the tech really didn't know much about a tune so I guess I got lucky.

I accepted this risk when I chose to tune the truck and I have the financial means to deal with any repercussions. No regrets. You gotta pay to play. Thanks @GooseTuned!

This is not the first time I’ve heard of dealers being unable to complete 21B10 after a tube has been installed/uninstalled. You should have been honest with them, they could have contacted hotline and recovered the PCM. Now they’re replacing a PCM for no reason, which will then go back to Ford and show that you had a tune installed.

A tune does not automatically void your warranty, it’s only an issue if a failure occurs that is attributable to the tune. For example, turbocharger damage.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They most likely saw the key cycle. A flash / reflash I believe resets it to zero. @FordTechOne can verify that. If you have say a 2 year old truck, they would expect to see maybe 600-900 key cycles. If you refreshed a few days before, they would see maybe 4-6. Either that or you screwed up the back to factory. Either way, you need to come clean to them.

Yep, key cycles are a dead giveaway. And yes, he needs to come clean before they install a new PCM and send his back to Ford.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

If you ever uninstall, I always like to just go back afterwards and attempt another install JUUUUST to be sure it uninstalled properly. Its not likely that's the case, but it's just a good sanity check.

Great attitude to have nonetheless! Kudos to you!

OP
OP
Chris Mies

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. The PCM flash didn't work so they are going forward with the replacement, and they have all the parts in stock. I was glad to hear that. Funny though, the service tech called me back and asked which tune I had on the truck so they could put it back. Hmmm?