FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 21B10 done months ago when it first came out. I haven't noticed any difference.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford does do over the air updates, do it on my wife's 21 Explorer and I assume they do them on the Gen 2 Raptors. They have modems and I hear the automation systems run. You can do updates from the main system menu as well with the Wi Fi. In regards to the post, my truck holds the starter a little longer than it did previously to build pressure. I assume this is part of the cam phaser update. However, I did not notice it doing it till a few weeks after I had the hardwired update.

Neither Gen 2 Raptor nor 2021 Explorer can update anything other than Sync over the air. That is a hardware limitation; they do not have the OTA capable gateway module and Ethernet communication network.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Totally off subject. But would you have access to the schematic in which way the modem interfaces to the APIM? I know the modem connects to other module(s) to control FordPass functions as well. Curious.

The TCU (modem) communicates with the other modules on the vehicle, including the APIM, over the HS3-CAN bus.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Ford does do over the air updates, do it on my wife's 21 Explorer and I assume they do them on the Gen 2 Raptors. They have modems and I hear the automation systems run. You can do updates from the main system menu as well with the Wi Fi. In regards to the post, my truck holds the starter a little longer than it did previously to build pressure. I assume this is part of the cam phaser update. However, I did not notice it doing it till a few weeks after I had the hardwired update.
Bless your heart jama…

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne , I just stopped by the local dealership to have the Cam Phaser recall scheduled (21N03). I've already had the reprogramming recall done and still have the noise. My truck was built 6/19 and has 40,360 miles, one owner. The dealership wants the truck for 1 day to "diagnose" that I need new cam phasers. Then they will order parts and they want the truck for 3 days to repair. Does this sound like normal procedure? Why can't they just order parts then I drop it off when the parts get there?

Also, do you know if the next owner or dealership that I trade the truck into will be able to have the recall done?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne , I just stopped by the local dealership to have the Cam Phaser recall scheduled (21N03). I've already had the reprogramming recall done and still have the noise. My truck was built 6/19 and has 40,360 miles, one owner. The dealership wants the truck for 1 day to "diagnose" that I need new cam phasers. Then they will order parts and they want the truck for 3 days to repair. Does this sound like normal procedure? Why can't they just order parts then I drop it off when the parts get there?

Also, do you know if the next owner or dealership that I trade the truck into will be able to have the recall done?
They need the one day diagnosis to allow the truck to sit long enough for a cold start. Once they verify that the noise is a phaser rattle, they can move forward with ordering parts and completing the repair.

This particular recall and associated programs are transferable to subsequent owners.

Meferrell84

Reaction score
I just got my letter this week and scheduled the appointment. But after reading the letter closer, if I already have the rattle, and my truck has more than 90k miles, Ford won’t cover any of the cost for new phasers- is that right?
Quick update: I had the reflash done and I haven't had the rattle in the last week. Not sure if it's just in my head, but it seems like the motor is running stronger than before as a bonus. No change in crank time- so far everything has been positive.

Also, turns out the dealer extended my warranty (or included it at purchase- I'll have to go back and check out my paperwork) so I have coverage if it comes back. Shout out to Larry H Miller in Draper! Awesome service.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They need the one day diagnosis to allow the truck to sit long enough for a cold start. Once they verify that the noise is a phaser rattle, they can move forward with ordering parts and completing the repair.

This particular recall and associated programs are transferable to subsequent owners.
Thanks!

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the results. Im waiting for my dealership to get mine in for the phasers, as mine sounds terrible. How long did they tell you it would be down getting them replaced?
Got my truck back last evening. 10 days. It would have been 4 days, but when the tech was hooking up the fuel system something broke and pieces went everywhere, even into the oil pan. So parts had to be ordered and everything torn apart.

Felt so good to saddle into the Raptor after that Ranger XLT.