FSA 21B10 - Cam phaser update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickingaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this was posted somewhere in the 26 pages of this thread. I recently purchased my 2017 SCREW. Is there a website I can go to and determine if the Cam Phaser Update was performed on my vehicle?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I apologize if this was posted somewhere in the 26 pages of this thread. I recently purchased my 2017 SCREW. Is there a website I can go to and determine if the Cam Phaser Update was performed on my vehicle?

You can call a dealer and give them your Vin, or look in the ford pass app

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is this shudder like? I had mine done about 2 weeks ago and feel like it is occasionally in too high of a gear. As an example, when I turn onto my street, the truck makes its way up to 6th gear on a slight uphill and the truck kind of sputters along like it's in too high of a gear for the speed we're going.

It's going in Tuesday to get the cam phasers replaced.
If it’s shuddering at low RPM you may have scoring on the cam journals, which is caused by lack of maintenance, low quality oil or filters, or low oil level. Replacing the phasers will not resolve that. Did you buy the truck new?

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s shuddering at low RPM you may have scoring on the cam journals, which is caused by lack of maintenance, low quality oil or filters, or low oil level. Replacing the phasers will not resolve that. Did you buy the truck new?
Bought new, has 16k on it and oil changes done every 3k at the dealership. Didn't start shuttering until they reprogrammed PCM.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought new, has 16k on it and oil changes done every 3k at the dealership. Didn't start shuttering until they reprogrammed PCM.
I’d recommend trying the adaptive relearn I posted earlier. If it’s still exhibiting an issue after that you may need to bring it back in for further diagnosis.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d recommend trying the adaptive relearn I posted earlier. If it’s still exhibiting an issue after that you may need to bring it back in for further diagnosis.
Good deal, thanks. I was planning to ask about it when I take it in for the phasers on Tuesday.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the pcm reprogram done yesterday. Only drove it home from dealership for several miles, but noticed no problems so far. Drove equal to or better than before the procedure.

DreadPirateRaptor

Reaction score
Well, mine was rattling since new. I’ve got documented stealership visits with my multiple complaints about the noise. Have been told “ it’s normal “ so went with it as the truck isn’t driven daily. We took it to my parents to go fishing at the lake and the next day at home went to start it and it seems “ out of time “. Take it to dealer, it’s “ something in the head “. I’m ~200 miles outside of warranty and I’m told Bc of mileage the dealer only does a long block and it’s $15k. Ford is offering $5k assistance. What would you guys do?

I’m leaning to “ tow it to Dearborn and set the ***** on fire and tape it “.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, mine was rattling since new. I’ve got documented stealership visits with my multiple complaints about the noise. Have been told “ it’s normal “ so went with it as the truck isn’t driven daily. We took it to my parents to go fishing at the lake and the next day at home went to start it and it seems “ out of time “. Take it to dealer, it’s “ something in the head “. I’m ~200 miles outside of warranty and I’m told Bc of mileage the dealer only does a long block and it’s $15k. Ford is offering $5k assistance. What would you guys do?

What about it felt “out of time”? That’s a very specific condition. Did it set any DTCs?

How many miles were on when you bought it used? There was a TSB for excessive oil consumption which was corrected with new valve covers. If the truck ran low on oil at any point it would have caused excessive wear on bearing surfaces. Did the truck have complete maintenance records from the dealer?

As far as the dealer claiming it’s “something in the head” is not a valid diagnosis. Did the dealer at least pull the valve covers and front cover?

The list price of a long block is $5132; even with the necessary hardware, fluids, etc, I can’t see it being over $6k. Which means they’re either marking the engine up above list price or charging you $9000 in labor to R&I a long block. Either of which is outrageous. Warranty time for engine long block replacement is 9.5 hours.

If you bought the truck from this dealer and have the ROs showing that you brought it in for the engine noise concern multiple times, I would recommend contacting the dealership General Manager. Calling a noise normal that later results in a failure is a misdiagnosis. They should be on the hook for the portion of the repair that is above what Ford is offering.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You said rattling since new. So you purchased the truck new. Are you sure we are not talking about some minor wastegate rattle vs can phaser rattle? Very different noises and one lasts a few seconds until oil pressure hits and the other a couple of mins until to turbine area warms up. If the dealer said it was normal, I would suspect they were talking about the wg rattle. Either way @FordTechOne email has all the detail, info and recommendations you can go by. This dealer sounds terrible based on what your listing.