frozen door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The door handle works fine...

For me it was closing the door, it was acting like a jammed lock and I had to lock and unlock it like 20 times for it to work.
You mean you played with the door lock to free it up? Just be careful the dealer told me there is also a tsb on broken power door locks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer suggested I pour warm water around the door to free it up

So you no longer experience it after wd40?
If the door frame is frozen the recalls will not fix that. All vehicles will experience the door seals freezing to the frame under certain conditions regardless of brand. If you can pour warm water around the door frame and it then is able to be opened, it’s not a latch issue.

The recalls addresses an issue where the latch itself has frozen, preventing the door from unlocking or unlatching. It can also cause the latch to stick in the open position, preventing the door from closing and latching.

OP
OP
R

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the door frame is frozen the recalls will not fix that. All vehicles will experience the door seals freezing to the frame under certain conditions regardless of brand. If you can pour warm water around the door frame and it then is able to be opened, it’s not a latch issue.

The recalls addresses an issue where the latch itself has frozen, preventing the door from unlocking or unlatching. It can also cause the latch to stick in the open position, preventing the door from closing and latching.
The symptoms I encounter is what you describe. I watched a video that demonstrated the same issue where once I open the door it won't close and I had to hold the door and lock it to get it to at least hold until I drove it for about 20 minutes to my destination with the heating on in the cabin. Finally when I parked the truck it worked like normal.

I hadn't tried what the service rep suggested but I'm guessing he was thinking the warm water would reverse whatever is frozen inside. I read also their remedy is to seal the door from water getting anywhere where it would freeze parts.

I'm just surprised there's not so much discussion on this matter as I'm sure there are many f150s that are subjected to cold sub temps

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford sent me no less than 2 notices via FordPass, which at the time were important back when I lived in a climate that humans weren’t meant to exist in. So I dutifully let them make remedies, which got me nowhere. My door latches never froze, but they did stick because of my somewhat imprecise fitting of Dynamat on the doors, but the stealership helped me take care of that. Then I got another and I think a 3rd notice for the same issue over FordPass. The service advisor told me I’d done what I needed to unless I had a ‘reoccurrence’. I never got the original issue so for me, not a big deal.

I’d say if you are having the frozen latches - not door handles, as @FordTechOne has rather eloquently differentiated, if you have the latch issue, then get the service department to square it away.

It’s a workaround, of course, because if you’re in a climate that allows your door latches, or handles to freeze, you’re not living where humans were meant to exist. Pro tip: if polar bears are a thing where you live, move somewhere warmer !

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You mean you played with the door lock to free it up? Just be careful the dealer told me there is also a tsb on broken power door locks
I am referring to post #12 from @FordTechOne.

I kept locking and unlocking the door using the switch until it fixed itself.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The symptoms I encounter is what you describe. I watched a video that demonstrated the same issue where once I open the door it won't close and I had to hold the door and lock it to get it to at least hold until I drove it for about 20 minutes to my destination with the heating on in the cabin. Finally when I parked the truck it worked like normal.

I hadn't tried what the service rep suggested but I'm guessing he was thinking the warm water would reverse whatever is frozen inside. I read also their remedy is to seal the door from water getting anywhere where it would freeze parts.

I'm just surprised there's not so much discussion on this matter as I'm sure there are many f150s that are subjected to cold sub temps
In that case your truck should qualify under FSA 18N03 - Door Latch Freezing Concerns. If you call your dealer with your VIN they can confirm.