frozen door handles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford sent me no less than 2 notices via FordPass, which at the time were important back when I lived in a climate that humans weren’t meant to exist in. So I dutifully let them make remedies, which got me nowhere. My door latches never froze, but they did stick because of my somewhat imprecise fitting of Dynamat on the doors, but the stealership helped me take care of that. Then I got another and I think a 3rd notice for the same issue over FordPass. The service advisor told me I’d done what I needed to unless I had a ‘reoccurrence’. I never got the original issue so for me, not a big deal.

I’d say if you are having the frozen latches - not door handles, as @FordTechOne has rather eloquently differentiated, if you have the latch issue, then get the service department to square it away.

It’s a workaround, of course, because if you’re in a climate that allows your door latches, or handles to freeze, you’re not living where humans were meant to exist. Pro tip: if polar bears are a thing where you live, move somewhere warmer !
I live in northern Nevada where it's cold but definitely not to the point where humans can't exist. I would say it's more like we have 4 real seasons here. It doesn't go sub zero but it's cold enough where things freeze from time to time.

I never knew ford pass would detect these type of issues and notify you. Or were they general broadcasts of potential recalls?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
These were recall updates. A bit frustrating, because I’ve had the repairs done, but I can’t dismiss the doggone alert from FordPass.

8 PM and over 70F in early January. this is how winter should be. :p

tlrmade

Reaction score
The dealer suggested I pour warm water around the door to free it up

So you no longer experience it after wd40?
We had a lot of rain for like 3-4 days straight. So i assume this allowed a lot of water to flow through the doors from the roof....thats how the drains are designed from what i gather.

Then overnight we had teens-20s temps.

I opened the passenger door fine and then went to shut and it bounced back open. tried cycling the door handle and the lock seemed frozen/stuck.

I remembered from reading this forum extensively before purchasing my Raptor about the freezing latches and WD-40.

I soaked it with WD-40 then took the flathead on my Leatherman and worked the latch open and close and it eventually worked.

I now keep a small bottle of WD-40 in my truck and will once a month soak the latches.

I do not know if the latch recall was performed on my 18 before I owned it?

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in northern Nevada where it's cold but definitely not to the point where humans can't exist. I would say it's more like we have 4 real seasons here. It doesn't go sub zero but it's cold enough where things freeze from time to time.

I never knew ford pass would detect these type of issues and notify you. Or were they general broadcasts of potential recalls?
That is a matter of opinion. Humans shouldn't live here because of the idiot tourists. Not had a problem with the Raptor. Normally it sits in the garage but I bought the wife a new car for xmas and the Raptor sits outside until I can finish reorganizing the garage. If you spray a Teflon spray on the door seals it will keep them from freezing to the door. I have not had the lock freeze up.
On a side note, my F350 which parks next to the driveway, froze to the ground last week. Had it in 4X and it wouldn't spin a wheel. Waited for those two days without snow to get it to thaw out.

OP
OP
R

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a first I've heard drivetrain freezing up. Could it be the calipers frozen?
That is a matter of opinion. Humans shouldn't live here because of the idiot tourists. Not had a problem with the Raptor. Normally it sits in the garage but I bought the wife a new car for xmas and the Raptor sits outside until I can finish reorganizing the garage. If you spray a Teflon spray on the door seals it will keep them from freezing to the door. I have not had the lock freeze up.
On a side note, my F350 which parks next to the driveway, froze to the ground last week. Had it in 4X and it wouldn't spin a wheel. Waited for those two days without snow to get it to thaw out.