Front Windsheild Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SexyAvalancheGrey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't live in Arizona, or places it can get 115 degrees then front window tint is pointless and dangerous.......I have it on my R8 but thats only because it came with it and is the dumbest thing ever. Does it give a better look yes, but function wise at night time it's down right dangerous......

Gilligan

Reaction score
I miss it from my days of being young and dumb, today all I see if a giant lawsuit and denial of insurance claim.

BoostinFD

Reaction score
For you guys that had the windshield tinted... what'd you do about the auto lights sensor? Mine keeps coming on early or turns on/off when it gets cloudy. I was hoping there's a way to make a delayed start or something.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you guys that had the windshield tinted... what'd you do about the auto lights sensor? Mine keeps coming on early or turns on/off when it gets cloudy. I was hoping there's a way to make a delayed start or something.

The question was asked already in the thread before it was muddied up w/ opinions...

I don't think there is solution, or I haven't been able to find one.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the front tinted (very light) and I didn't notice any difference, the lights still come on early. At night, what I do notice is that the glare from oncoming headlights is greatly reduced, I feel I have better visibility. I like it a lot.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't live in Arizona, or places it can get 115 degrees then front window tint is pointless and dangerous.......I have it on my R8 but thats only because it came with it and is the dumbest thing ever. Does it give a better look yes, but function wise at night time it's down right dangerous......

Then you're doing it wrong. People who put dark tint on their windshields are morons. IIRC anything over 70% is legal (at least in CA) on the windshield. I have an AirBlue tint which, if I didn't tell you you'd never know it was there.

My tint does not go over the sensor, it goes around - this is not a tint issue but a general issue, regardless of tint.

BoostinFD

Reaction score
My tint does not go over the sensor, it goes around - this is not a tint issue but a general issue, regardless of tint.

Isn't the sensor for the lights, the one all the way at the bottom of the dash, in the middle? I think you're thinking about the rain sensor that's under the rear view mirror... of course the tint will go around that.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the sensor for the lights, the one all the way at the bottom of the dash, in the middle? I think you're thinking about the rain sensor that's under the rear view mirror... of course the tint will go around that.
Ahh, yes if that is the sensor then yes, you are right. I was thinking it was near the rain sensor (which would make more sense no?)

BoostinFD

Reaction score
Ahh, yes if that is the sensor then yes, you are right. I was thinking it was near the rain sensor (which would make more sense no?)

Right... But, that's not the case. My buddy Tinted his front windshield on his GMC 2500 and the lights kept coming on early... He found a thread somewhere on one of the forums that they took the sensor apart and removed some cover which made it less sensitive for people that tinted windows. I may give it a shot over the weekend.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right... But, that's not the case. My buddy Tinted his front windshield on his GMC 2500 and the lights kept coming on early... He found a thread somewhere on one of the forums that they took the sensor apart and removed some cover which made it less sensitive for people that tinted windows. I may give it a shot over the weekend.
Keep us posted! Drives me nuts!