front spring install - do it yourself question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattHamby598

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have installed your own front springs, what did you use for a spring compressor? I have a clamshell spring compressor and I have two pairs of the individual spring compressors with the threaded rod. Is this enough to do the job at home? The Springs appear to be tough to compress to get the strut cap off.

Eric Breden

Reaction score
What springs are they? I tried doing Geisers that way and bent the rods, ended up taking them to a shop with the wall mount set up.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not. I believe springs are in the 500lb/in area just long as all get out.

The hardest part would probably be the bottom strut bolt torqued to about 400lbs.

19's require a set so the live valves work properly.

Good luck

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1D6783A4-AE92-47C7-AFD7-5A713EBB98E1.jpeg 4FC464FE-6276-4A01-BB4C-CE1A20637A4B.jpeg 744CE177-069E-4F4A-A714-428647B6E9F2.jpeg 8A618424-3A36-4E6F-93B9-5124122668E7.jpeg A fair amount of people will strongly caution you to not use the threaded rod type. I imagine this is good advice.

I did end up using them but I took some precautions. I recommend you to use the correct size for your coils as well as inspect them prior to using them.

I installed Geiser springs on bottom perch on my truck. I used (4) threaded rod spring compressors and I loosely wrapped a ratchet strap around them in case one were to let go. The loose strap would allow the compressor to move some dissipating energy if it were to pop off. I also laid a heavy towel over them if the cast heads were to catastrophically fail to help with shrapnel . When I tightened them I did so in a cross cross pattern and took my time.

As far as removing the existing spring I did the method similar to forged offroad’s video and placed my foot on the spring and took the nut off with an impact and no compressors.

I can only tell you what worked for as working around stored energy is inherently dangerous and I can only give you the information and you decide for yourself.

Miggy

Reaction score
I had to use 4 of the threaded spring compressors on my 2020 and they were flexing. Definitely a scary moment. It held but I wouldn’t do it again

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What size threaded rod compressors did you use? I have used ones for 5/8” dia. Coils and they flex a lot. The ones for 3/4” coils are not to bad, and the flexing was elastic, none of my threaded rods yielded.

OP
OP
MattHamby598

MattHamby598

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I found a used Branick 7400 today that I'm getting. I have a UTV that I do spring work on too so it'll get some use.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled and reinstalled the shocks myself, and had a local shop do the spring swap for me. They charged me $37 to compress the springs and swap them out. I try not to take dumb chances with potential energy. Doing the perch mod on my Gen-1 wasn't bad with threaded spring compressors because everything was still captive. I wouldn't want one of those things to slip or let go when not captive.

If you don't mind wrenching, there is probably a local shop that has a real compressor so you don't have to risk it.