GEN 2 Front spring and LCA cam bolt install questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I've done a bit of searching, and found this post from @sixshooter_45 which has the torque settings for removing the shocks. Here are a few related questions:

1. Am I correct in reading 30Lb-Ft for the top bolts, and 406 Lb-Ft for the bottom bolt? I'm pretty sure the 406 is correct, but just making sure the 30 is the correct number for the top.
  2. Actually, the 406 brings up a question...how do I torque something to that spec? I have a torque wrench, but it doesn't go up to 400 Lb-Ft. I saw a link where you can use an extension (on the drive end, not the handle) to multiply, so I might have to go that route. It seems that a torque wrench capable of going up to at least 400 Lb-Ft is $$$, and I'd rather not have to buy one just to tighten down 2 bolts (1 per side).
  3. I'm dreading the spring compressor option, but may give the 2 sets (4 compressors per spring) option a try. I'm going to call around to a few shops in the mean time and see what they would charge just to swap out the springs if I bring the assembled factory shock/spring and the new spring into them. If doing it myself isn't looking good, I'll just bring it to them.
  4. I'm also planning to install some SPC LCA cam bolts at the same time. Looking at the torque settings in the link in the table above, the only thing I can think those might be is "Lower arm forward and rearward nuts". Is that correct, meaning the torque for the cam bolts would be 258 Lb-Ft? Or will the cam bolts come with instructions that tell me what the new torque should be?
Anything else I need to know? I've got the parts on order, I'm gathering info now, and I will be doing the install sometime in the future (maybe next month?). Yes, I will be taking the truck in for an alignment after the installation is complete.

Thanks!

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did Foutz Motorsports slot delete washers with a used set of Icon UCA’s. I thought I could get away with locking the LCA’s in the center position and making a jig to copy the stock UCA’s but that didn’t work. I did learn some valuable information regarding tightening up the LCA’s with no load on them. By doing this it raised my front end 1 1/2”. So I read some old posts kicked the LCA’s out to max and cranked them down with load on them, I’ll need an alignment but the truck is sitting back to the height I had it dialed in at.919EA9ED-D15B-49D4-B6D0-D88035561FCD.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a torque wrench that big is stupidly expensive. i searched for one. i got this instead. $70 or so. im actually taking the front shocks off my truck as we speak.

IMG_20200415_200336.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
goes up to 700ft lbs, but doubt i will ever go that high. we did test it with a conventional snap on digital torque wrench at 250ft lbs and it was within a couple lbs. but that could have been user error when reaching the torque limit

IMG_20200415_200756.jpg

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goes up to 700ft lbs, but doubt i will ever go that high. we did test it with a conventional snap on digital torque wrench at 250ft lbs and it was within a couple lbs. but that could have been user error when reaching the torque limit

View attachment 141601
Excellent, thanks for the info and picture of the part number! I'll look into picking up one of those.
im actually taking the front shocks off my truck as we speak.
Are you installing new springs? If not, why are you taking the shocks off? Can you confirm the 30 Lb-Ft torque on the top of the shock?

If you're replacing the springs, what are you using for a spring compressor? Do you have access to an industrial sized one?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest 600ft-lb torque wrench I could find was $200 at Summit Racing. Luckily I was able to borrow one from work last time I removed shocks but eventually I'll get one, or that drive adapter and a 4' breaker bar in 3/4" drive.

I didn't replace springs but did remove and reinstall them for mid perch, used a spring compressor from ebay for around $125 but would recommend calling around locally and see what they would charge.
20180323_075056.jpg
And yes the 30ft-lbs is what I went by for the three upper shock mounting nuts and 258ft-lbs for the SPC cam bolts on the LCA's.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the info and picture of the part number! I'll look into picking up one of those.
Are you installing new springs? If not, why are you taking the shocks off? Can you confirm the 30 Lb-Ft torque on the top of the shock?

If you're replacing the springs, what are you using for a spring compressor? Do you have access to an industrial sized one?
i have a gen 1 so specs might be a little different but most likely similiar. i am going to top perch on my truck. its been on mid since i bought it, but it sits really low compared to other trucks so im using our spring compressor but i have to pull the shocks out since our compressor is a bit big

IMG_20200416_102949.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest 600ft-lb torque wrench I could find was $200 at Summit Racing. Luckily I was able to borrow one from work last time I removed shocks but eventually I'll get one, or that drive adapter and a 4' breaker bar in 3/4" drive.

I didn't replace springs but did remove and reinstall them for mid perch, used a spring compressor from ebay for around $125 but would recommend calling around locally and see what they would charge.
View attachment 141636
And yes the 30ft-lbs is what I went by for the three upper shock mounting nuts and 258ft-lbs for the SPC cam bolts on the LCA's.
i have a 4ft breaker bar just dont have 3/4 sockets haha. i have a snap on 3/4 to 1/2 reducer that has worked. if getting an adapter, they do make a difference. i tried a couple of those cheap ones and they sheared right where it necked down to 1/2in. so make sure to get a snap on, matco, craftsman, whatever. just not a cheapie or you might have problems.