Front Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
It is just cosmetic, braking function and performance is unaffected unless the scoring exceeds minimum rotor thickness.

The most common cause is debris getting between the pads and rotors, which is not a warrantable issue regardless.
Pardon my lack of mechanical knowledge, but this is an Off-Road Truck. Unless it’s a pavement Princess, how can I prevent this from happening?
While we are on the topic….
Asking for a friend ;)
Do I (errr, my friend)need to let the brakes cool a few minutes before hitting the wheels/tires with water at the car wash. My “friend” was told not doing so can result in damage to the components from the sudden temperature change?
Thank you for my friend:)

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon my lack of mechanical knowledge, but this is an Off-Road Truck. Unless it’s a pavement Princess, how can I prevent this from happening?
Asking for a friend ;)
Do I (errr, my friend)need to let the brakes cool a few minutes before hitting the wheels/tires with water at the car wash. My “friend” was told not doing so can result in damage to the components from the sudden temperature change?
Only way to prevent this is to garage the truck and never drive it. Just happens sometimes. Its not a problem. Grooves can happen on road or off road. Its not the fault of Ford or anyone else.

OP
OP
Semperfi88

Semperfi88

Reaction score
I had the same problem (front grooved rotors)on my 2020 at 12,000 miles. Ford said it was cosmetic and not a warranty issue! Ended up saying F-it and put on power stop Z36 on all four corners. I'm very happy with my decision. But I think it is unacceptable to have to do this so soon on a brand new truck. Oh well!
Ya getting the same (it's a wearable item can't help you!) You'd think with a truck that's almost 6,000 lbs the factory would put on more durable rotors.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Asking for a friend ;)
You can't; same principle applies to any vehicle, off road or not. If debris ends up between the rotor and pads, it will result in scoring. As long as it's not deep enough to result in a brake performance issue, it's nothing to worry about.

As far as spraying the brakes with cold water, they're designed to survive such instances (driving through a puddle), but it would be better to let them cool first before washing when you have the option.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya getting the same (it's a wearable item can't help you!) You'd think with a truck that's almost 6,000 lbs the factory would put on more durable rotors.
Rotors are not made of diamond, and for good reason. They're made from steel, and the friction coefficient and roughness average (RA) are critical to the performance of the brake system. If debris gets between the pads and rotors, some scoring can occur. Once again...if it's not below minimum thickness, there is no need for concern.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
You can't; same principle applies to any vehicle, off road or not. If debris ends up between the rotor and pads, it will result in scoring. As long as it's not deep enough to result in a brake performance issue, it's nothing to worry about.

As far as spraying the brakes with cold water, they're designed to survive such instances (driving through a puddle), but it would be better to let them cool first before washing when you have the option.
As always, thank you Sir for taking the time to answer “ my friends” silly questions;)

OP
OP
Semperfi88

Semperfi88

Reaction score
I've owned alot of vehicles in my lifetime, the first $75k Raptor! Never have I had to replace any rotors after 21k miles. No, rotors aren't made of diamonds, and no they're not supposed to be sheltered in a garage away from dirt and rain, but I expect to get more out of a vehicle that's built for off road baja racing!