GEN 1 Front + Rear Suspension Options Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general how do 3.0's hold up in cold weather? Here in MT it's not un-common to have a week or two with temps below 0 deg. Do King, Fox, Icon, ADS all use Viton seals in their shocks? Ive heard that Viton doesn't hold up well in the cold.

I want to get a set of 3.0's this fall, but they need to last, as my raptor is my daily driver.

Currently running rebuilt OEM with Geiser's at mid-perch(on my Gen1). The seals are both blown, with under 15k miles on them.
I had OEM shocks with Geiser springs, and blew out two sets of shocks. Going to a 3.0 is night and day and completely worth it.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear:

Disclaimer: There may be discontinued rear suspension options that are mentioned in other forum posts or on other trucks but are not included in this list because they are no longer regularly sold.

Leaf Springs
On the raptors, there is a lift block that adds approximately 2” of lift on the stock springs. Therefore, a 2” longer leaf spring will still remain at stock ride height.

1) Icon RXT Leaf Springs. An entire replacement leaf pack that replaces your stock springs and lift block. They are more progressive than factory, with an additional 8 leaves (as shipped from icon). Icon includes an additional leaf spring that can be set aside, used to replace the last leaf (for more lift and load holding) or added to the pack (for even more lift and load capabilities). Pricing is about $1450 through most retailers with most charging an extra $200 in shipping, but some will sell them for near $1250 out the door (PM me and I can try to hook it up).

2) Deaver leaf springs. Similar product to Icon, but the main difference lies in the lack of customization. Whereas Icon includes an extra leaf, allowing for 3 possible configurations, Deaver forces you to choose your desired spring load and height at purchase. Pricing is similar as well at about $1450.

Shocks:

1) King 3.0 Bypass: The OEM Replacement bypasses for the Gen 1 are a 3-tube (2 compression, 1 rebound) 3.0 shock. They use the normal adjustment tubes that require the use of a wrench to operate. These use urethane seals and are built to King Performance Series Specs. King offers optional finned reservoirs like in their coilovers. They retail for about $2350 without the finned reservoirs.

2) Fox Factory Series Bypass: These are a 3-tube bypass like the Kings, but use Viton seals and some higher quality materials in accordance with the rest of the Factory Series line. They also offer optional “Quick Adjust Bypass” tubes that can be adjusted by hand and do not require tools to operate. They retail for $2299 without the QAB.

3) Icon Zeta Bypasses: These are very similar in operation to both other rear bypass offerings, also being a 3-tube shock. They retail for about $2729 and do not offer further customization options.

4) Icon RXT Bypasses: These are an extended travel bypass (15 inches of travel when combined with longer leaf springs) that will still fit the stock mounting location. Functionally they are essentially the same as the Icon Zeta Bypass, but add a dual hose reservoir with a check valve in order to facilitate shock oil cooling. Pricing is about $3650 for the set.

Bed cage options

RPG RST 16:
Intended for those who want additional travel over stock, without cutting into the bed. This setup essentially bolts across the top of the frame and replaces the stock upper mounts. Offers 16” of wheel travel when combined with a 3.0x14 bypass. This kit will also require much longer leaf springs over stock to take advantage of the additional travel (RPG recommends +4.5” springs). Pricing is at $1295.

RPG RST 18: An off-the-shelf highly low profile bed cage for those who want more travel and don’t mind cutting into the bed. It sits against the cab and allows most bed space to be retained. This kit uses 3.0 or 3.5 16” long bypasses and again recommends +4.5” leaf springs. Pricing is also $1295.

Spring Under: This places the leaf springs under the axle for additional travel (usually around +8 leaf springs). Travel is in the range of 20-22” with the proper bed cage and shocks. Giant Motorsports, Rogue Racing, and others offer spring under kits in the neighborhood of $2500.

There are other bed cage options and most fabricators can make one from scratch, but the RPG options are the most cost-effective and also least invasive as they take up minimal room.

I have just ordered a set of RXT leaves with Camburg extended shackles and will post a review of those when I install them. King 3.0 bypasses will be here soon.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished installing the Icon RXT leaves. Took about 5 hours and that was by myself. I have the Ford Racing exhaust and the muffler was right where the front spring bolt was on the passenger side so I ended up having to cut the bolts on both sides, but the hardware kit comes with two. You’ll also need a large grinding wheel (I bought a 6.5”) or a jigsaw type tool to cut the bolts. You need a bigger than usually grinding wheel because the bolt is tucked behind the mount and a smaller wheel won’t access it. Also, it was a gigantic pain in the ass aligning the nubs on the springs with the holes on the axle. I had to yank on the shackle side and kick the axle to get the two to line up. Other than that it was really straightforward and I didn’t run into any complications, just make sure you install the shackle bolt in the same direction it came out or else when the truck is let back down to ride height the nut will hit the frame. I didn’t have to take off the shocks.

As far as ride quality goes, it’s a massive difference. It doesn't give the pillowy feeling that shocks do, but it makes the back end be “felt” quite a bit less. The stock leaves bounce and kick around and these are much more compliant, making the truck feel like it sinks into bumps and actually absorb them.

BSRKNU-big scotty

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had trouble on my 2013 with CV boots on top perch, OEM shock and spring. I don't see how geisers with 2.5 lift would do anything but cremate the boots about one a week ? Just put the Icons and it dropped about 1 inch so far (Just put on last week so no settling yet) Had the fronts done, put the rears on at home and realized I need some serious jackage for this thing, had never jacked it up off the ground by the frame before, only up at the leaf mount to rotate tires. It still had 2 inches to go which I put the other jack under the shock and jacked it up into the mount. Been wondering since I got it why the bump stops were so close sitting stock, sure found out it's set for all droop and shocks control it. Also know why the air bumps are so prevalent in the forums. Suppose I could have looked for some more crap to put in my way in the garage but figured I had enough !! :emotions122:

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_145253166.jpg
    IMG_20221224_145253166.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221224_145318406.jpg
    IMG_20221224_145318406.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221231_145735327_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221231_145735327_HDR.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221231_145809553.jpg
    IMG_20221231_145809553.jpg