GEN 1 Front + Rear Suspension Options Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I would make a thread detailing all (to my knowledge) of the available Gen 1 suspension options for both front and rear including approximate pricing and pros/cons. I spent weeks compiling information from multiple forums so I could make my own decision and thought it might help others. Feel free to chime in with your own input, experience, info, or corrections.

FRONT:

1) Rebuilt/Revalved stock shocks and Geiser springs. Approximately $100-$125 per shock and about $549 for the springs. The Geiser springs are progressive as opposed to the stock linear springs, meaning they are softer at the beginning of their travel. They are also longer than stock and add 2.5” of lift at mid perch (per Geiser). Allegedly, mid perch is where the shocks perform best.
2) King 3.0. They use a full 3.0” piston inside a 3.0” shock body as the internal bypass technology does not consume shock piston space. As far as I know they are not position-sensitive and do not attempt to truly mimic a bypass like the Fox or Icon shocks. They have relatively linear shock valving and close to stock spring rates. They are also adjustable for “mid-speed” compression ramping. Most retailers selling Raptor specific kits have the King OEM Performance line, which contains slightly less fancy materials as compared to the Fox Factory Series. They are approximately $2670 through most retailers, with the finned reservoirs adding about $150. Per King, they reduce reservoir temperatures by about 30% across the board.
3) Fox 3.0. They use a 2.5” piston inside a 3.0” body, and are not a true 3.0 as the internal bypass chambers consume space. However, the Fox shocks are position sensitive, not just velocity sensitive, and contain separate damping zones depending on piston location. They are again valved relatively linearly and have spring rates close to stock. These are the Fox Factory series shocks and contain higher quality, more durable components such as Viton seals. The non-adjustable coil overs start at about $2800, with the dual speed compression (DSC) variants selling for about $3100. The DSC offers both high and low speed compression adjustments.
4) Icon 3.0. Unlike the King and Fox offerings, the Icon coilovers are valved digressively, meaning the valving softens up and becomes less aggressive as the shock compresses. This delivers a “stiffer” street ride, that technically should be less composed over very large impacts. Like the Kings, these are a 3.0 piston in a 3.0 shock body. The Icons also use springs that are approximately 20% stiffer than stock. The Icons, like the Kings, offer a general “mid-speed” compression adjuster. Icon claims that a major advantage is an internal “bump zone” that prevents shock damage and also results in increased comfort at full compression. They are about $2800 through most retailers.

I will update with further information as well as rear suspension options. Just wanted to give a brief overview for those who may be entirely new to Raptor ownership or off-road suspension and needed basic information.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I would make a thread detailing all (to my knowledge) of the available Gen 1 suspension options for both front and rear including approximate pricing and pros/cons. I spent weeks compiling information from multiple forums so I could make my own decision and thought it might help others. Feel free to chime in with your own input, experience, info, or corrections.

FRONT:

1) Rebuilt/Revalved stock shocks and Geiser springs. Approximately $100-$125 per shock and about $549 for the springs. The Geiser springs are progressive as opposed to the stock linear springs, meaning they are softer at the beginning of their travel. They are also longer than stock and add 2.5” of lift at mid perch (per Geiser). Allegedly, mid perch is where the shocks perform best.
2) King 3.0. They use a full 3.0” piston inside a 3.0” shock body as the internal bypass technology does not consume shock piston space. As far as I know they are not position-sensitive and do not attempt to truly mimic a bypass like the Fox or Icon shocks. They have relatively linear shock valving and close to stock spring rates. They are also adjustable for “mid-speed” compression ramping. Most retailers selling Raptor specific kits have the King OEM Performance line, which contains slightly less fancy materials as compared to the Fox Factory Series. They are approximately $2670 through most retailers, with the finned reservoirs adding about $150. Per King, they reduce reservoir temperatures by about 30% across the board.
3) Fox 3.0. They use a 2.5” piston inside a 3.0” body, and are not a true 3.0 as the internal bypass chambers consume space. However, the Fox shocks are position sensitive, not just velocity sensitive, and contain separate damping zones depending on piston location. They are again valved relatively linearly and have spring rates close to stock. These are the Fox Factory series shocks and contain higher quality, more durable components such as Viton seals. The non-adjustable coil overs start at about $2800, with the dual speed compression (DSC) variants selling for about $3100. The DSC offers both high and low speed compression adjustments.
4) Icon 3.0. Unlike the King and Fox offerings, the Icon coilovers are valved digressively, meaning the valving softens up and becomes less aggressive as the shock compresses. This delivers a “stiffer” street ride, that technically should be less composed over very large impacts. Like the Kings, these are a 3.0 piston in a 3.0 shock body. The Icons also use springs that are approximately 20% stiffer than stock. The Icons, like the Kings, offer a general “mid-speed” compression adjuster. Icon claims that a major advantage is an internal “bump zone” that prevents shock damage and also results in increased comfort at full compression. They are about $2800 through most retailers.

I will update with further information as well as rear suspension options. Just wanted to give a brief overview for those who may be entirely new to Raptor ownership or off-road suspension and needed basic information.

What you said on the Icon is incorrect. They are a bypass, so the shock gets stiffer with compression as it closer to bottoming. The digressive valving refers to shaft speeds. As shaft speeds go up, damping force is reduced. Which is really how just baout any shock is valvewd. This is controlled by how the shim stacks are set up. This does not cause the truck to be "less composed". It is a lengthy discussion into how suspension works, but generallyou want digressive valving or the truck will ride like complete ass. And low speed damping and rebound control is most of what makes the truck feel "composed"

The bump zone is something that is present in both the Fox and the Icon shock. This is the zone where there are no longer any bypasses toward the end of the shocks travel, and all of the fluid is being forced through the pistons valving.

The Kings for the Gen1 are not an internal bypass. They are a standard 3.0 coilover.

wharridge

Reaction score
In general how do 3.0's hold up in cold weather? Here in MT it's not un-common to have a week or two with temps below 0 deg. Do King, Fox, Icon, ADS all use Viton seals in their shocks? Ive heard that Viton doesn't hold up well in the cold.

I want to get a set of 3.0's this fall, but they need to last, as my raptor is my daily driver.

Currently running rebuilt OEM with Geiser's at mid-perch(on my Gen1). The seals are both blown, with under 15k miles on them.

Cory s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general how do 3.0's hold up in cold weather? Here in MT it's not un-common to have a week or two with temps below 0 deg. Do King, Fox, Icon, ADS all use Viton seals in their shocks? Ive heard that Viton doesn't hold up well in the cold.

I want to get a set of 3.0's this fall, but they need to last, as my raptor is my daily driver.

Currently running rebuilt OEM with Geiser's at mid-perch(on my Gen1). The seals are both blown, with under 15k miles on them.

great question. I can’t advise on that one as i live in Florida, it rarely gets under 50 here!

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Viton working temp is -15*F - ~440*F.

They’re fine.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you said on the Icon is incorrect. They are a bypass, so the shock gets stiffer with compression as it closer to bottoming. The digressive valving refers to shaft speeds. As shaft speeds go up, damping force is reduced. Which is really how just baout any shock is valvewd. This is controlled by how the shim stacks are set up. This does not cause the truck to be "less composed". It is a lengthy discussion into how suspension works, but generallyou want digressive valving or the truck will ride like complete ass. And low speed damping and rebound control is most of what makes the truck feel "composed"

The bump zone is something that is present in both the Fox and the Icon shock. This is the zone where there are no longer any bypasses toward the end of the shocks travel, and all of the fluid is being forced through the pistons valving.

The Kings for the Gen1 are not an internal bypass. They are a standard 3.0 coilover.

That is what I had meant by the Icons. I meant to say “as the shock compressed faster”. That was a typo on my part. Thanks for the correction. And yes, the OEM replacement King coilovers for the Gen one aren’t IBP, but you can get a custom order set from King that are.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As far as I know, the Viton seals are included in all of the Fox Factory Series shocks, included in the King Pure Race shocks, and optional in the King Performance shocks.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I neglected to add ADS or companies such as Sway A Way only because they sell much more limited quantities and I could not find multiple sources of published empirical data on them. They also charge nearly the same money, or more, as compared to Fox, King, or Icon, so why not go with a more established brand.