Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is in this video link. I have 2017 all option Raptor with 86,823 miles. The dealer has had it 6 times now trying to fix this and I drove it for a day and this is still present. Front hub vacuum hoses and sending module on front left and right has been done now. Truck has been at the dealer now grand total 4 months with these 6 visits. Love the truck but am fed up with the lack of knowledge to fix the problem.
Any suggestions on how to fix it from anyone would be appreciated.
This cannot be the only truck here in Los Angeles that the dealer would have had to deal with doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.mov
    9.6 MB
Reaction score
I have completely the same problem! My first thought was transfer case but it was wrong. So i came to this forum to find out answer to the same question:)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is in this video link. I have 2017 all option Raptor with 86,823 miles. The dealer has had it 6 times now trying to fix this and I drove it for a day and this is still present. Front hub vacuum hoses and sending module on front left and right has been done now. Truck has been at the dealer now grand total 4 months with these 6 visits. Love the truck but am fed up with the lack of knowledge to fix the problem.
Any suggestions on how to fix it from anyone would be appreciated.
This cannot be the only truck here in Los Angeles that the dealer would have had to deal with doing this.
Did you get this fixed yet? Which dealer are you visiting?

Reaction score
I have not fixed it yet. I believe I found answer at this forum. I will check IWE rings at hubs and vacuum system that turn front wheels on. BTW I am from Russia and ford dealers at my country take care just for focus and transit.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
The dealership thought they had it taken care of. 1 week having it back it did it again. They were supposed to replace all front left and right vacuum hoses sending unit with all new components. I was wondering if it could be anything else now that they have done this. What is the next step in this noise now that they can cross that off their list of reasons for the issue?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the IWE not disengaging completely.
The way the IWE works is when the truck is running, vacuum is created holding the plastic gears off the 4wd acctuators. When you engage 4x4 the vacuum is released allowing the gears to connect to the hub.
The sound is simillar to the gears being semi engaged.
If I were you, I would jack the front of the truck up and with the truck turned off see if the front drive axel turns on the wheel you spin. Then start the truck and see if the axel stays put when you roll the wheel.
The axel should turn with the tire when not running (no vacuum = engaged), but should not move when started as there should be vacuum holding the IWE apart.

Once you know what is happening, then you can discuss with your dealer whether or not they "Fixed" the problem.
I would ask for a parts list for each service visit. If they are replacing vacuum lines but not changing the chewed up IWE gears then it wont engage/diengage properly.
Maybe a different dealer can solve your issue.

BTW, IWE's are cheap. Any service shop that has worked on a Ford truck should be able to do this easily if you dont want to go to a dealer.

Hope this helps.