Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrrw

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Raptor 6.2. I only have 50k on it. It has been babied and never off road. I have a clunk noise in the front end when driving over small bumps at lower speeds 30-40mph. Makes no noise on the highway. I can feel it by my feet. I have replaced, upper and lower control arms, the lower shock bolt and torqued to 500 ft lbs., sway bar bushings,stabilizer links and the front shocks and springs. I still have this clunk at those speeds. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas what it could be? I did raise the shock position to mid perch which levels the front end out. I am thinking maybe the steering linkage now? I think I would feel that in the steering wheel though. Please help.I love this truck but will trade it in if I can’t figure this out.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Raptor 6.2. I only have 50k on it. It has been babied and never off road. I have a clunk noise in the front end when driving over small bumps at lower speeds 30-40mph. Makes no noise on the highway. I can feel it by my feet. I have replaced, upper and lower control arms, the lower shock bolt and torqued to 500 ft lbs., sway bar bushings,stabilizer links and the front shocks and springs. I still have this clunk at those speeds. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas what it could be? I did raise the shock position to mid perch which levels the front end out. I am thinking maybe the steering linkage now? I think I would feel that in the steering wheel though. Please help.I love this truck but will trade it in if I can’t figure this out.

I just replaced every component in the front end of my truck with OEM ford parts. Uppers, lowers, shocks, top hats, the list goes on. After looking at all the old parts, I think the “front end clunk” can be caused by many different issues. Here is a list of what I think can be the culprits.

Lower control arm bushings. The old ones had hair line cracks in then around the eyelet.

Spring isolator. The old ones were totally shot. Pretty sure they weren’t providing any cushion between the spring and the top hat.

The top hat. There is a rubber bushing in center of the top hat that the shock shaft bolts to. The old ones had play in them and I could move the bushing by hand.

Lower control arm. If you pull shocks out a lot, you are going to oval out the bolt holes for the shock.

Lower shock bushing. Clearly this has been discussed...

Sway bar end links.

The good news is my truck now rides like it did the day I bought it. All OEM components for the front of a gen 1 is about $2,800 from Tasca. Cheaper than 3.0’s and you won’t be chasing sounds anymore.

Andrrw

Reaction score
I did not replace the spring isolator or the top hat bushing. Everything else has been replaced. This could be the culprit! I replaced upper and lower control arms and b-joints, sway bar bushings and links, shocks and lower shock bushings. (Rebuilt by Texas Shock Works) I will try the parts you mentioned. Thank you for the reply. I will let you know if that works.

OP
OP
Ratpatator

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for everyone having issues with this. My truck does have quite a few miles on it but I just did headers and when I loosened the engine mounts I noticed that they are shot. The bolt has quite a bit of play in the rubber bushing and if this was knocking it would produce a sound from the same general area. I didn't have time to replace them because of Ford not being open and have to have the truck for work. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it soon.

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought for everyone having issues with this. My truck does have quite a few miles on it but I just did headers and when I loosened the engine mounts I noticed that they are shot. The bolt has quite a bit of play in the rubber bushing and if this was knocking it would produce a sound from the same general area. I didn't have time to replace them because of Ford not being open and have to have the truck for work. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it soon.

This has been something I considered a few months back and haven't seen many bring it up on here before. Let us know when you replace it if you notice any difference. Cheers.

charliepapa

Reaction score
My axle end is making noise inside the wheel hub. Grab your half shaft and wiggle it up and down
digging this one from the grave.. but have a similar issue/symptom.. I've replaced UCA, lower ball j, tie rod ends, sway bar everything, shocks, top hats.. still clunky

charliepapa

Reaction score
does the new passenger side axle have an up/down wiggle like the old one? mine does and it sounds like that could be what's resonating through to the cab on these little bumps