Front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Knocking noise seamed to be getting worse, maybe just me but raised the front tires one at a time a few inches off the ground and put a bar under the tire to pry up on the tire I can produce a small knock sound on both sides there is a little play in the lower ball joint but the sound seams to be coming from the shock mount on the frame with a tiny amount of play where the shock mounts to the top hat. Current shocks are fox 3.0

what kind of play is ok in the ball joint. I have been told a small amount is ok. I would think you wouldn't want any play but I also don't want to replace a good ball joint. rebuilt stock shocks are on the way home so I would like to do it all at once if I need to replace them at all

I'm going to be putting on the R1 Concepts brakes this week, I'll try your method prying up on the tire while it's elevated.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While spending some time surfing the web, I came across Forged Offload. They are/were formerly Werebuildshocks.com, but I think they opened up a new business.

Regardless, these guys rebuilt my shocks in the past and replaced the lower shock bushing, thus eliminating my front end clunk. Their online store stocks factory lower shock bushings, as well as their custom lower shock spherical bearings for factory 2.5's.

I just ordered the spherical bearing kit, and the upgraded lower shock bolt kit.

Check them out here - https://forged-offroad.com/product-category/2010-2014-ford-raptor-parts/?v=9747dd5cbaed

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While spending some time surfing the web, I came across Forged Offload. They are/were formerly Werebuildshocks.com, but I think they opened up a new business.

Regardless, these guys rebuilt my shocks in the past and replaced the lower shock bushing, thus eliminating my front end clunk. Their online store stocks factory lower shock bushings, as well as their custom lower shock spherical bearings for factory 2.5's.

I just ordered the spherical bearing kit, and the upgraded lower shock bolt kit.

Check them out here - https://forged-offroad.com/product-category/2010-2014-ford-raptor-parts/?v=9747dd5cbaed

Interested to hear your opinion on the spherical bearings once you run them, I'll likely be having those guys rebuild my shocks after the first of the year and will have them replace that bushing at the same time (and bolts, and schraders, and the list goes on and on heh).

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine is making a metallic rattle noise over small bumps and cracks in the road.. it goes mostly away in 4wd, so i guess im going to focus cv/iwe/wheel hub bearing.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to hear your opinion on the spherical bearings once you run them, I'll likely be having those guys rebuild my shocks after the first of the year and will have them replace that bushing at the same time (and bolts, and schraders, and the list goes on and on heh).

I'll type up a review once I get them installed and a few miles on them. I'm curious how long they will last.

LXCoupe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the clunk too. Had my shocks rebuilt and changed to the longer shanked lower shock mount bolt. This partially got rid of the sound. I found that the passenger side exhaust manifold heat shield had broke loose of the front mount and was making sounds too.

They didn't have the spherical bearings available yet when I had my shock rebuilt. I'm curious to know how it rides with them.

Last edited:

Mrp2121

Reaction score
I chased this identical "clunk" for months after putting on 3.0's, replaced spherical bearings, ball joints, etc. only to discover it was the most basic and ridiculous source.

My driver's side shock had never been charged with nitrogen. When there's no nitrogen in it, the bladder doesn't cushion and you can hear the piston "topping" and clunking. I jacked mine up, pressurized it to 210 psi, and the annoying "clunk" has been gone since.

Maybe that's your issue?