Front end clink clank noise differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Min

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I recently got my truck back from the dealer after 3 months of them trying to replace my front differential and a couple of other parts. I could hear the clink and clank at first but I thought it was just parts breaking in but after 2000 miles, the sound is getting worse.
It happens whenever my wheel is turned, it makes this ticking or clanking noise. it either sounds like something is either too tight or loosely bolted. I'm just picturing a rod hitting my front diff every time I turn but it's inconsistent so I am confused. anyone else have any idea?
In the video, you can definitely hear something ticking or hitting my front diff.
Video 1 and 3 you can hear it loudly.
TRUCK; 8500 miles, 2019

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes!

That definitely doesn't sound good. It sounds as though the piece that is moving is hitting something that is significantly lighter gauge metal (skid plates / covers etc). I'm no expert but my brain would ask the following:

1) Is the noise exacerbated by being on un-even surface?
2) Is the issue present on the vehicle regardless of how long it has been driven / left sitting ?
3) Any modifications to suspension / driveline ?

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
thank you for your reply, i will answer those questions so that others will not be wondering
1. the issue happens when the wheel turns, whether straight road or uneven surface, like downhill or uphill arc. it amplifies when you brake slightly
2. yes it happens whether after cold start or after 1 hour of driving
3. no, no mods so far, I want to do Eibach springs but because i do not want this to catch my ass later, I want to take care of it. Especially I do not want them saying how this could be possibly caused by that and how it voids my warranty.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SO it doesn't do it when you're going straight? That should eliminate the front dif and drive shaft. You need to have somebody look under the front of your truck while you are driving backwards and see if any of the two or both of the cv axles are spinning, sounds like they are binding or there's something up with your brakes.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were my Raptor...I would go back to the dealership and share your videos with the tech that worked on your truck and the Service Manager. Those sounds are not normal! Good Luck!!

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in 4A, 4H, or 2W? I have something like that happening to mine. Coming from the front driver's side when I'm in either 4A or 4H. Truck goes in next Thursday, thinking it's something with the IWE....maybe the hub.

StrangeRaptor

Reaction score
It does not sound exactly like mine did, but I did have a very odd noise. The dealer was totally confused by the sound - it turned out to be a bent exhaust heat cover that was hitting the front drive shaft. Mine was more of a scraping sound, but yours could be hitting the U-Joint area or something else that has a rough surface. Have them put it on a lift that does not lift by the tires and then put it in drive and see if you hear it - and if it is only happening in AWD or 4, then make sure it is in 4HI as the AWD won't spin unloaded front wheels (I believe). And Boost_it638, mine was only happening in 4H or in AWD if the front wheels were slipping, so this could be your issue as well. Also keep in mind that if it is a similar issue, but related to the wheel drive shafts (CV), then it may not hit when on the lift as the suspension is fully unloaded.

KeithV

Reaction score
Yeah, that's loud as hell! Definitely sounds like something hitting, possibly a shield. Take it back and have them look at it with suspension under compression. Maybe something minor that just needs adjusted after they replaced all the parts.

I will be taking mine in soon to have them take the front end apart to figure out a noise. I pray to God it isn't three freaking months without it. Holy cow.