Front Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amschind

Reaction score
I have a '21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost with a 3.73 E-Locker in the rear and the standard open diff in the front. I had an old Explorer before this truck with Eaton Truetracs front and rear, and found the road manners to be indistinguishable from the former open diff in front and much better than the Ford LSD in the back: I'm not concerned about torque steer, as that Exploder didn't have 2h (only AWD/4H/4L) and my current truck doesn't have 4A.

My goal is a truck that meets a wide variety of needs, from long distance driving, pulling trailers, to off-roading as a means to an end in the relatively flat but muddy East Texas (i.e. I want to be able to get place to work on stuff or hunt, but I recognize that this truck isn't built to go up rocky trails in CO or go screaming through the high desert). Since Ford already makes a Torsen for our 8.8" Reverse IFS diff, and that diff has a great reputation among you guys, and I know that having a torsen in front doesn't bother me, I decided to go this route. I'm working on getting a rebuild kit that works for the install, but my one major point of confusion is the diff cover.

The stock diff cover for the regular F150 is the usual stamped 3/16" or so sheet metal. I found the Ford Performance cast iron 9.75" cover for the rear pretty easily, but the front one has been more evasive.

Youtube knowledge

I hope that makes the rather ambiguous question that I posed in my introduction a little clearer. Thanks!

Last edited:

Primez

Reaction score
Any 8.8 will fit. Maybe consider going for the offbrand Spicer version? Basically same, just different brand plate. You could put a sticker on it if you hated that much.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread completely but if I wanted to replace the stamped steel cover on the Torsen front differential in order to be able to change the fluid easier, this would be a suitable (but likely overkill) replacement.

0E396E47-9E65-4603-BB3C-C5356A4C92E7.jpeg