GEN 2 Front Differential Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfadchi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good links to "how to" or videos? I've searched youtube and not finding anything.

Wondering how involved it is. It is something I can easily do in my garage? I've done all kinds of things to my GT500 and Jeeps in the garage. I typically stay away from gears, but I found a complete assembly so I would just be swapping it out.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are you swapping in?...a front axle with a Torsen unit?

It's all nuts and bolts, get some cordless tools and have at it...

OP
OP
sfadchi

sfadchi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you swapping in?...a front axle with a Torsen unit?

It's all nuts and bolts, get some cordless tools and have at it...

My front differential broke off on all the mounting tabs. I'm fighting with Ford and the dealer to have it covered. I don't know how it's going to turn out. There is no external damage to the unit (ie nothing had hit it or banged against it). I have found a unit out of a brand new Raptor for around $500 so I figure worst case I'll swap in that one.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can give you the All Data instructions if you want. Doesnt seem all too bad. Shoot me your email if you want them. It is straight forward though (assuming you are mechanically inclined enough to want to tackle this)

drop the front shaft, drop the axles, remove all skid plates, remove cross member, disconnect the breather and its two mounts - the diff should drop right out. It does also say to undo the steering column from the steering gear and lock the wheel in place. I am guessing that is for clearance

cwylie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had mine out but I dont think it would be bad. You would have to take the axles out which mean breaking the upper ball joint lose. Once thats done I think the steering rack would come out which is two bolts and a few connectors. After that I think axle should drop.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the steering rack takes all of 5 mins to drop.

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO THIS. If you don't you'll be paying a dealer to reset the lane keeping system.