Front differential cold weather shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using 4WD on dry surfaces in a G1 will cause the driveline will bind up and shudder; the axles are mechanically locked together. 4WD should only be used on loose surfaces.
Was on I think mostly ice when the it wants to lock. Its all snow and ice here right now.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just 7 degrees warmer here today made a huge difference. Alot lighter now. Definitely in the -30C area made it hell for it. Fluid change is top of the list.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford runs the lighter weight gear oil up front already, and it's a full syn from the factory too, so I doubt you'll find much relief from the fluid.

You could ask around and see if your neighbors living on the frozen planet of Hoth have any input as to what gear oil is best in the cold.

Do you know if your truck has the torsion diff up front or not? It was optional. I'd guess that torsion diffs are very sensitive to cold fluid with the way they work.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford runs the lighter weight gear oil up front already, and it's a full syn from the factory too, so I doubt you'll find much relief from the fluid.

You could ask around and see if your neighbors living on the frozen planet of Hoth have any input as to what gear oil is best in the cold.

Do you know if your truck has the torsion diff up front or not? It was optional. I'd guess that torsion diffs are very sensitive to cold fluid with the way they work.
Has the torsen.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any of the lowers that were difficult to access from the sides, I just went from the top to get them.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 has a similiar feeling when tight turning in the extreme cold. It's -20 c here and only noticed it the since the cold. When it's about zero or warmer it's way less pronounced. Figured it's oil/ temp related. Of course you shouldn't turning hard in 4x4 on good traction flat surfaces.

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cold here too
A lot of stuff having issues
Must have taken 10 minutes to start the tractor so I could snow blow the driveway
:(

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cold does some weird things. I think I was incorrect with the straight line shudder. Its a separate thing happening and not related to the diff. I'm guessing its the traction control kicking in and I don't think its because the tires are slipping. Just seemed to kick in under load like up a hill. Again, only at -30c.