GEN 1 Front diff service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of posts about this but nothing too recent. I need to service my front diff and I’ve heard that some people drop the rack, or the axles and some people don’t have to do anything, it just comes out. I asked my shop about it when i had a cv axle replaced and they said they’d have to drop the rack to get access. Then I’d need an alignment. My question is do i really need an alignment if i drop the rack or the axle housing? I’d assume if i took them off completely then yeah realign but I’m curious if i just drop either a few inches will it go back to where it was. I haven’t crawled under there yet since the weather has been so ******

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never done it, had it done at the dealer twice and I don't think it was an arm and a leg to have it done either. Interesting to see what others have done.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did mine while changing a broken cv axle. Didn’t drop anything, just took off cover, drained, resealed and refilled. It’s tight in there for sure, especially the top bolts.

View attachment 161681
Do you need to borrow a quarter to use the pressure washer at the car wash to clean under there?
7W_pdRQYa0A6z3AfR4PY0eO81XA0CyfpwNil4D1ii0_H6JLj7OJk-bUphKVf_DsJG0MRyGGWbSe-zm6K2g

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need to borrow a quarter to use the pressure washer at the car wash to clean under there?
7W_pdRQYa0A6z3AfR4PY0eO81XA0CyfpwNil4D1ii0_H6JLj7OJk-bUphKVf_DsJG0MRyGGWbSe-zm6K2g

I need one of those roller joints that attaches to the pressure washer! I came straight from the off road park to the garage - a two hour drive.

Figured I’d clean it all after I knocked some off while changing out cv axles and changing fluid.

XCReapor

Reaction score
No need to drop the rack or anything but the skid plate, however there's a lot of twisting and pulling to get the thing out, but it will come out. Good luck!

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also buy some of the clips that hold the nuts for the skid plate because you will probably Strip some putting it back in!

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, when it warms up i think I’ll tackle this. With the twisting and turning it takes to get the thing out, how is it to reinstall with rtv sealant on? I’m worried about scrapping it off trying to finagle it back on. Is there an alternative to rtv? Maybe some sort of dry gasket? I haven’t done a search yet but even with the rear i end up getting that crap all over my self

XCReapor

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, when it warms up i think I’ll tackle this. With the twisting and turning it takes to get the thing out, how is it to reinstall with rtv sealant on? I’m worried about scrapping it off trying to finagle it back on. Is there an alternative to rtv? Maybe some sort of dry gasket? I haven’t done a search yet but even with the rear i end up getting that crap all over my self

Honestly wasn't bad, If i remember correctly getting it back in there was much easier than taking it out,