GEN 1 Front Camera won't enable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Reaction score
Well I haven’t really checked on anything but today I discovered that if I cycle my rear defroster on and off the backup camera comes on and stays on until I do it again even in drive. Not sure what this means but maybe just faulty computer. Would updating my sync software do anything?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I haven’t really checked on anything but today I discovered that if I cycle my rear defroster on and off the backup camera comes on and stays on until I do it again even in drive. Not sure what this means but maybe just faulty computer. Would updating my sync software do anything?
sounds like you have the nav tv interface. previous owner probably had one installed

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know much about it, and not sure how much this helps if at all. But I do know for a FACT, that if either the front or rear camera is not working or the BCM thinks that it’s not the other will not work. I disconnected my tailgate for a few days and had noticed that since the rear camera was disconnected, the front wouldn’t work until I hooked the rear back up . Hope this helps
Sounds like the guys designing the trucks don't really use trucks much.

You guys need access to service data to troubleshoot the camera system. You need to know first how they work in general. What talks to what, what activates what, etc. Then go verify all of that one by one and you'll find the problem. You might need a scan tool that can activate modules to test things. There is also a calibration process in the scan tools for the cameras.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah so that’s probably what that little black box is next to the console. I’ll do some research, never heard of them.
it over rides the system to allow nav input while driving, force the front and rear cam at anytime and allows dvd/video in motion. if you press the front defrost twice the nav will stop tracking and then you can go into camera settings and turn on the front cam. i use it for video while driving because i have a flir camera on the truck so at night, i can reference the screen to objects much farther than what my lights can see, and since it has animal detection, i can make sure there are now effin cows in my way

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just what the car stereo guy said and its what i have also. I like it for small parking lot etc lol.

Just don’t expect navtv to answer if anything happens, unfortunately….
they just see your number on caller id and say shit, and go immediately to lunch.

ca ll me if you ever have issues. i have installed at least 300 of these in just the trucks alone

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
they just see your number on caller id and say shit, and go immediately to lunch.

ca ll me if you ever have issues. i have installed at least 300 of these in just the trucks alone
Its just that one navigation issue. I just wanted to see if i could just buy another module box or whatever they suggest LOL.