Front Camera Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been getting these messages shortly after startup and some times while driving over the past several months. Front Camera Malfunction followed by Pre-Collision Assist not available and Adaptive Braking Off. Dealer says they were unable to duplicate (I showed them the video) so they cleared the “DTC and retest”. The problem seems to be getting worse

I also have a thick oil/grease leaking from my mirror this past week

View attachment trim.19C7E314-37EE-4BC8-A43E-4B082512AE80.MOV

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happens on my f150s when my forward facing camera was obstructed

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your windshield to see if it’s an OEM part. Some of the aftermarket windshields cause issues with the IPM-A.
I bought the truck new in December 2019. It’s the original windshield.

What should I tell the dealer when I take it in since they couldn’t figure it out the first time? It’s happening all the time now, getting worse.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the truck new in December 2019. It’s the original windshield.

What should I tell the dealer when I take it in since they couldn’t figure it out the first time? It’s happening all the time now, getting worse.
If it’s doing it more frequently they should now be able to duplicate it and properly diagnose. Be sure to tell the advisor if there are any specific conditions under which it occurs (hot, cold, certain areas, ect.)

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne Update from the dealer. Took it in to have the rain sensor checked and solve this problem. They replace the rain sensor and said that the oil was probably messing with the camera that caused the malfunction errors. I didn't make it 10 miles from the dealer before it threw the error again. Took it right back to the service department and they FINALLY looked at the codes and say there was an error in the PCM and and are ordering a new one... You said IPM-A so hopefully they aren't getting the wrong thing. It WAS working intermittently but 2 days ago (I've had to truck back for a week waiting on the dealer to get the part) it throws the error on startup EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's some how gotten worse and now I have no cruise control ever. Starting to worry that the PCM might not be the only issue.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it is happening everytime on start up, those clueless idiots at your dealership should be able to find the problem. Make sure you start it up a couple of times before you leave this time. Hope @FordTechOne can guide you with a message you can engrave on the end of a sledge hammer when you go see the service advisor . Merry Christmas.

BSheppard

Reaction score
I had the same msg pop up every now and then. Maybe every 10 start ups in my 2019. I hated it since it would keep the cruse control from working. Most of the time I would just restart the truck until it went away. Never took more than one or two times and it would clear itself.

The first dealer I took it to kept it for a few days and did a “software update”. That did nothing.

Took it to the 2nd dealer and they said the front camera was bad. Replaced it under warranty and everything has been fine for the last year and 7-8k miles.

I asked about the cost and they said it was a $800.00 ish bill for the camera and labor. Mine was covered since it only had about 16k miles on it at the time.

The dealer also said it could have been from a rock or other debris hitting the camera but since there was no markings it was easy to get ford to warranty this one. I got the feeling if it happened again I would be replacing that one on my dime.