Front bumps???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone running front bump stops? Curious if anyone is running them and how noticeable is the benefits? I feel the raptor really needs the help of some bumps up front but prefab’d kits are very rare (forged off-road).

Looking to install some on my truck and will probably just run a 2.0 bump with a custom mount similar to the forged setup.

What say you fellow Raptor folks?

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I am having Forged Offroad install their front bump stop kit as I type this. I had been following the progress of their bump stop kit development from the start and everyone who have installed them are very impressed with the difference in handling.

I finally drove Paul's (Forged Offroad co-owner) shop Raptor at Oceano Dunes recently, this is the shop Raptor with 37's and their in-house Radflo 2.5 shocks and I was amazed how well the front end felt over 2' whoops! Another thing I noticed was smoother steering. I was not fighting the steering wheel over the whoops.

From the start I knew I would do the install eventually I was basically waiting to have it all done at once since my 3.0's now have over 42k on them and needed a rebuild I was able to drop my Raptor off for the rebuild and upgrade. I'm looking forward to our next run with the new setup :)

--

OP
OP
D

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having Forged Offroad install their front bump stop kit as I type this. I had been following the progress of their bump stop kit development from the start and everyone who have installed them are very impressed with the difference in handling.

I finally drove Paul's (Forged Offroad co-owner) shop Raptor at Oceano Dunes recently, this is the shop Raptor with 37's and their in-house Radflo 2.5 shocks and I was amazed how well the front end felt over 2' whoops! Another thing I noticed was smoother steering. I was not fighting the steering wheel over the whoops.

From the start I knew I would do the install eventually I was basically waiting to have it all done at once since my 3.0's now have over 42k on them and needed a rebuild I was able to drop my Raptor off for the rebuild and upgrade. I'm looking forward to our next run with the new setup :)

--
Glad to hear someone has firsthand experience with their bump kit. I’ve noticed the front end needs a little extra help on the compression side without running a dual shock setup. I’m running 3.0’s up front but feel like it needs a little extra (safety net) to slow the front down.

Once yours are installed can you post or send me photos of the install. There aren’t many photos out with the Raptor front end with bump stops. Curious what you think once you get it back.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have them and used them in Baja and TRR. Baja was somewhat hard for me to tell because I wasn’t familiar with the terrain without the bumps compared to with. Overall I am very impressed how my raptor handles off-road when in Baja, always a blast there.

Now TRR, I’ve been to 5 times and know how my raptor responds on that 40 mile course. So year 6 was the first time with these front bumps. Wow! Big difference! I hit holes and dips that I thought I hit too fast and was ready to hang on for a big bottoming out and hard rebound saying oh shit this is going to hurt. Nope, smooth that it just would put a big smile on my face. Couldn’t recommend these more.

f6d851f4e026e3c07eb635e51e22e2b5.jpg4d6d786548e30fe31fad8418c4fb959d.jpg

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I don't know. I feel like adding bumps to soften big blows just means that your shock package isn't right and you either need to add a bypass for more control, have someone tune the suspension, or re-valve the shocks to provide more appropriate functionality.

I've yet to see a raptor coilover that doesn't include jounce bumpers. Most of the mid-travel kits do not use bumps because they aren't really necessary.

I'm also not a fan of that strike plate setup. I feel like landing that bump on the cast aluminum arm during a really hard hit ( which is the whole reason for installing these) would create a sheer point or fracture epicenter that will eventually lead to a broken LCA if you truly beat on the truck.

D

Deleted member 12951

I don't know. I feel like adding bumps to soften big blows just means that your shock package isn't right and you either need to add a bypass for more control, have someone tune the suspension, or re-valve the shocks to provide more appropriate functionality.

I've yet to see a raptor coilover that doesn't include jounce bumpers. Most of the mid-travel kits do not use bumps because they aren't really necessary.

I'm also not a fan of that strike plate setup. I feel like landing that bump on the cast aluminum arm during a really hard hit ( which is the whole reason for installing these) would create a sheer point or fracture epicenter that will eventually lead to a broken LCA if you truly beat on the truck.

I would totally agree that a 2nd bypass shock would be a better setup and performance, not even a question. But in comparison, that adds a lot more money. Not saying that the money would be worth it but I look at this as an intermediate offering. 2nd bypass setup is going to require a LCA and upper mount at least. Depending on the setup, could also mean new knuckle and UCA too. Its a $5k+ option plus labor vs less than $1k. I did reduce the PSI in the bump as out of the box its too high for this application.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I would totally agree that a 2nd bypass shock would be a better setup and performance, not even a question. But in comparison, that adds a lot more money. Not saying that the money would be worth it but I look at this as an intermediate offering. 2nd bypass setup is going to require a LCA and upper mount at least. Depending on the setup, could also mean new knuckle and UCA too. Its a $5k+ option plus labor vs less than $1k. I did reduce the PSI in the bump as out of the box its too high for this application.

I'd agree that it adds cost, but we're also talking about the truck working properly and safely.

Re-valving the shocks to work better and/or adding adjusters to them is really no more than 700-800 . If it were me, I'd start there and save towards stock width UCAs that have a secondary shock pocket in them. As for the knuckle, the best bang for the buck would be to gusset the stock gen1 knuckles ( hell thats what a lot of gen2 owners are upgrading to as the gen2 knuckles are like wet noodles and cant be gusseted.