Front Axle Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011RaptorSVT

Reaction score
I noticed that while changing the oil the other day. That one of the boots on the left front axles is coming a part. Looks like dry rot. Either way it will need replacing and Ford is telling me that the entire axle will need to be replaced. I typically do most of the repairs myself. What i am looking for is some insight on changing out the axle. thanks

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the half shaft? Very straight forward. I think 6 or 8 bolts on the inner flange and the nut in the hub. YouTube it. Should be the same procedure as an f150. Just a bigger shaft.
CV boots can be replaced and new grease packed within, but if it has run dry or gotten a lot of dirt inside the joint, better to replace the whole shebang.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed that while changing the oil the other day. That one of the boots on the left front axles is coming a part. Looks like dry rot. Either way it will need replacing and Ford is telling me that the entire axle will need to be replaced. I typically do most of the repairs myself. What i am looking for is some insight on changing out the axle. thanks

Did you ever swap out your axle? I'm in a similar situation. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there are flange bolts in the Raptor axle like a typical F150. Maybe I'm missing it somehow, but it sure doesn't look like it. I'm really hoping it's not clipped inside the diff.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever swap out your axle? I'm in a similar situation. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there are flange bolts in the Raptor axle like a typical F150. Maybe I'm missing it somehow, but it sure doesn't look like it. I'm really hoping it's not clipped inside the diff.
Correct. No flange bolts. Just did this to mine on both sides. Remove the wheel and dust cap and the nut that holds the axle to the knuckle. Axle just pops out. There is a ring clip that holds it in place that is not visible until you pop it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct. No flange bolts. Just did this to mine on both sides. Remove the wheel and dust cap and the nut that holds the axle to the knuckle. Axle just pops out. There is a ring clip that holds it in place that is not visible until you pop it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, cool. I'm going to be swapping shocks and and IWE at the same time, so it sounds like the axle should be fairly simple at that point. Basically just pull out the old one, push in the new one.