Front Axle Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my Raptor into the Ford dealer for it's first oil change (Free) at 4800 miles. They knocked it out in about an hour, but told me that I had a leak at the front right drive boot. I thought.....they must have seen some seepage, glad they caught it.

At that service they didn't rotate the tires. Two weeks later, I wanted to rotate the tires, clean the back side of the rims and repaint the calipers red. I pulled off the right front wheel and found the rim, tire, "A" arms, shocks, fender wells, frame and every other associated item was COVERED in grease. Not the seepage I had pictured. After thinking about it and the fact that it took the dealer two weeks to get a new axle, they probably shouldn't have let me leave the dealer. I know a drive axle can go a long way with the residual grease, but maybe they should have alluded to more of a blown seal versus seepage.

I doubt that they'll do much of a cleanup, so I spent an hour cleaning the front end and didn't drive it again until it goes in tomorrow for repair. The good news, they're replacing the entire assembly, not just the boot. I think I would have demanded that anyway, since it's unknown what got into the joint.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the same issue with such low mileage. My truck is more of a mall crawler, so I doubt that the seal was broken by debris.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven't heard of this exactly, not too common I wouldn't think, just a bad fitment at the factory on that one. It's a good thing they at least caught it. In their defense, the oil and lube guy is probably no mechanic and mentioned it to the SC, so the proper lingo got lost. You take any pics of the mess? Good luck with the repair, make sure they change the fluid :)

DrewFish11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened on my truck. Grease was everywhere. Parts replaced under warranty.

My dealer actually did a really good job cleaning up all the grease and getting everything installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk