Fried IWE actuators?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got under the truck last night and found that the driver side axle has about 1/4” of movement in and out of the back of the hub. I’m assuming the axle nut has worked its way off. Looks like the nut does not support the hub bearing? I haven’t felt any vibration, so seems it just secures the shaft.

Vac tested the actuators and that side has a leak also.

Cant wait to delete these stupid IWE hubs.

Sounds like the axle nut. Just need to pull off the tire and dust cap to check that. As stated previously it's a low torque, but I always use loctite on it now. It's too prone to backing off. As you said, it doesn't support anything. It simply keeps the axle shaft in place and unable to float around causing improper engagement.

Leak in the IWE will cause your rattling issue. Out of curiosity, which side was rattling, the leaky side or the good side?

One FYI, when I was looking at the delete kit RPG advised me that RCV doesn't recommend using it in cold climates. I don't know the why, but living in the Denver area I qualify as cold, therefore I didn't do it. Looks like you are in Vegas, probably fine there, but a good factoid to be aware of.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I deleted mine I pulled ALL of the related vacuum lines between the solenoid and the IWE's out of the truck and I put a vacuum cap on the solenoid.

Yep, capping the outlet on the solenoid kills all vacuum to the hubs, so it's a done deal at that point. I plan to do the same, and remove the old lines as well because they're unnecessary and I really hate seeing seeing them at this point!

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the axle nut. Just need to pull off the tire and dust cap to check that. As stated previously it's a low torque, but I always use loctite on it now. It's too prone to backing off. As you said, it doesn't support anything. It simply keeps the axle shaft in place and unable to float around causing improper engagement.

Yes, blue loctite is definitely the plan for it.

Leak in the IWE will cause your rattling issue. Out of curiosity, which side was rattling, the leaky side or the good side?

The grinding under load was coming from the good side when in 2WD. Because of the loose axle, I can barely get engagement at all on the bad side anyway, even under low vac situations. When I kill vac at the solenoid to the hubs, I get that random clank sound because the axle is bumping in and out against the IWE.

One FYI, when I was looking at the delete kit RPG advised me that RCV doesn't recommend using it in cold climates. I don't know the why, but living in the Denver area I qualify as cold, therefore I didn't do it. Looks like you are in Vegas, probably fine there, but a good factoid to be aware of.

Interesting. I also wonder why. Most of us get up to cold snowy areas at one time or another, but I guess they mean continuous duty in the cold. In your case, maybe the Dormans, because they are sealed, or seal off your old ones. Honestly, it's the same thing. Just cap the vac nipples on them and cap the inlet at the solenoid. You could add the wider gear ring from RCV and keep your stockers disconnected. That way you get the benefit of better/stronger engagement and a sealed unit.