Freedom in Motion SYNC Lockpick / Front Camera / "Poorman" Washer install and review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Freedom in Motion SYNC Lockpick / Front Camera / "Poor man" Washer install and review

Two weeks ago, I purchased the FIM Sync Lockpick and an aftermarket front camera, both from Camera Source - Backup Camera Systems for Commercial, Automotive and Agricultural Needs.. I also bought a washer nozzle for the front camera on eBay. I installed everything last weekend and have had about a week to test it out. Here Is my review:

FIM SYNC Lockpick for 2009 -2012 F-150 with Nav:

What is it? The Lockpick works with Fords equipped with Sync and the Sony Nav system (this will not work with non-nav equipped trucks). It allows you to add an aftermarket rear camera (if not already equipped), and up to 2 other cameras. Currently this kit does not work with 2012 factory front cameras.

The Lockpick also allows you to view any of the cameras at will. Including a factory rear camera (this is a new feature).

In addition to controlling cameras, the Lockpick allows you to input Nav address's while in motion (leave this for your passengers, pull over, or use voice commands).

And lastly, the Lockpick allows you to watch DVD's while in motion. I know some of you don't like the Sony Nav System but, the picture and sound from DVD's is incredible on this system. If you would rather not allow this feature, it is easily shut off using switches set during the installation.

The installation was easy, 1 beer. It is all plug and play. The hard part is stuffing all the wires back in after the install. One piece of advice, Do not mess with the airbag as described in the instructions. You simply pop the right side trim out, leaving it attached, which allows room to remove the screen trim piece.

Overall, I am very happy with the Lockpick and I am glad I waited to buy it. I originally looked into buying this a year ago. Back then, the kit did not work with factory back up cameras and watching movies would interrupt Nav directions. Both of these issues have since been resolved.

You can program the system to turn on your front camera automatically anytime you park (under 5 mph I believe) or you can turn off your auto on for your rear camera. I really don't like either of these features.

One other cool feature with this kit is with the 2 additional cameras. Yes, you can add a front camera and a nanny cam. But, you could also add blind spot cameras near your mirrors which the Lockpick would control when you use your directionals. I don't know how the Lockpick knows, but it does. I'm not sure if there's anyone making blind-spot cameras which fit our mirrors but I don't think it would be too difficult to make some type of housing which would look stock. Some Volvo's etc. have this option.

The following pics are in park, its not very easy to drive, watch Act of Valor and, take pictures:

Attachments

• DSC_4735.jpg
    DSC_4735.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_4724.jpg
    DSC_4724.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_4734.jpg
    DSC_4734.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The front camera I purchased looks exactly like the factory front camera. It is installed in a factory housing so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between mine (2011) and a factory installed front camera.

Again, this is a simple installation (1 beer). There are 2 torx screws which attach the back plate to the camera housing. Then it's a matter of running the wire along the existing marker light wiring and attaching it with zip ties. All of the wires are covered with plastic conduit. There is one small connection to make in the wiring and you need to fish it through the fire wall. I think the best way to do this is to find where the main wiring harness passes through the firewall and carefully cut the zip tie allowing room for the camera wire to pass through. Then connect the camera to the Lockpick (1 video plug / power / ground).

The picture is clear and sharp. The color is not as bright as my factory rear camera but it is very close. There are no distance lines nor are there any blue lines to mark the tire tracks, like the factory front cameras have.

Chris from camera source will bundle any camera / lockpick set-up you need. I placed my order on Friday night, and the package arrived on Monday (Very impressed).

Attachments

• DSC_4718.jpg
    DSC_4718.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_4710.jpg
    DSC_4710.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now for the "Poor Man's" front camera washer. I originally wanted to keep this set up as close to stock as I could. Which meant adding another washer pump / switch / etc. Which meant more $$. In the end I took an easier route.

What I did was, I bought the stock nozzle / washer jet (CL3Z-17603-A), 7' of hose, a Tee fitting, and a check valve. All for under $30.

I noticed that there was already a fitting where the windshield washer hose enters above the firewall (picture 1 below), so I didn't have to cut anything. I installed the jet and attached the hose. Running it along the right side of the hood, I attached it with zip tie mounts, riveted to the hood (picture 3 below). You could use stick on mounts but the hood isn't metal so I didn't have a problem using aluminum rivets. I then removed the fitting in the factory hose and installed a Tee fitting allowing me to tap into the existing system (picture 2 below).

I tried this out and it works well but, the fluid in the system drained back through the front nozzle. I bought a check valve which I have finally installed. The valve stops the fluid from draining and keeps it in the system. Simple. (Pics are on page 2 of this thread)

Now I have a front / rear camera set up that "I" control and I plan on adding a 3rd camera just because the system allows me to. Overall, I am very happy with this set up.

Attachments

• DSC_4708.jpg
    DSC_4708.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_4712.jpg
    DSC_4712.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_4714.jpg
    DSC_4714.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I added pics to the 3 threads above to help illustrate what I did. Hope this helps. I also found out that you can toggle between the front and rear cameras using the steering wheel controls... the downside is that you also change the station on the radio. lol! I still haven't installed the check valve.

bluepig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And lastly, the Lockpick allows you to watch DVD's while in motion. I know some of you don't like the Sony Nav System but, the picture and sound from DVD's is incredible on this system. If you would rather not allow this feature, it is easily shut off using switches set during the installation.

I just bought a 2013 raptor with all upgraded options including in dash nav. I've tried to place Dvd's in the cd slot when parked but it just spits them out... Did you special order a DVD player or are you using the audio video inputs in center console and using a external DVD player with the lock pic system you are referring to? I can't find any info on a DVD player in manual or any other source, just figured it would have come with one with options I added... Thx

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2013s do not play DVDs. Sorry.

He has a 2012 and they do play DVDs.

I just bought a 2013 raptor with all upgraded options including in dash nav. I've tried to place Dvd's in the cd slot when parked but it just spits them out... Did you special order a DVD player or are you using the audio video inputs in center console and using a external DVD player with the lock pic system you are referring to? I can't find any info on a DVD player in manual or any other source, just figured it would have come with one with options I added... Thx