Free N-FAB Mount w/LP9 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richard c

Reaction score
How do you wire the BD harness to a Raptor’s upfitter switches?
Backlight
Low
High

Since the Raptor already has fuses, relays and switches for its AUX switches it seems a lot of the expensive pieces of this harness would be discarded.
Is this harness overkill?

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You use a relay system such as the LVJ Motorsports Relay System. It mounts to the side of your battery and you plug your upfitters into this relay system, then connector your LP6 or LP9 to the LVJ Relay harness... done. Or you can use a BD Wiring Harness OR make your own. I went with the LVJ Motorsports setup though. Your factory upfitters are only rated at 15amps on 2 of the lines and the LP6/LP9 pull WAY more power then that.

https://www.lvjmotorsports.com/product-page/gen-2-hi-beam-modified-relay-panel

richard c

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Is there a way to make it work using the upfitters and the BD harness?
Would be a shame to have the BD switches in a Raptor that has upfitters.

When ordering Adam recommended two BD harnesses for an 18 Raptor

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes the BD harness is a big relay harness. You'd trigger the relay harness from an upfitter (doesn't matter which one).

You'd still use the upfitters with the LVJ Motorsports Relay setup. Bottom line, you need a relay if you are going to run anything with more then 15amps, which the LP6 and LP9 call for.

richard c

Reaction score
Could you clarify how all the wires in the BD harness would connect to a Raptor.
Particularly what happens with the provided switch, which wires connect to AUX wires under hood?

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just emailed you back, but for others who might be curious...

Well If you plan to wire each light to it’s own upfitter, sure you could do that. But that’s a bit odd and most folks would at least do the LP9 as a pair on 1 switch and LP6 as a pair on another.

LP9 are 7.6A each and LP6 are 6.5A each

So you could do what you wanted with the Upfitters and then wire all the backlights together for the DRL as you mentioned. (He planned to use Upfitters 1-4)

On my own truck I have my 4x LP9 wired to the LVJ Relay. So when I flip Switch 1 all 4 LP9 come on. All I’m using the Upfitter for is a trigger. It’s on Switch 1 because I have every switched wired to something and it’s the last one.

The BD harness is setup so it plugs right into the lights… you could make your own though as Baja provided the DT connectors in the boxes, so you’d need to make your own. OR use the BD one which is already setup for you. You’d just get rid of the switch/etc.. they give you and use your upfitters instead.

You basically cut back the harness getting rid of the relay… although at that point the harness was not needed, you can make your own. UNLESS You can’t make your own because you don’t have the tools for DT connectors, then yes cut back the harness so you just have your bare wires coming off the harness.

The BD wiring is shown here: https://www.bajadesigns.com/images/LP9 Data Sheet.pdf

Page 4 & 5 shows the pin-outs

richard c

Reaction score
Finally getting to install the bar/lights/harness and am confused as to how the BD harness works with a 2018 Raptor’s AUX switches.

I thought the specs say that the LP9s are 7.6A each, so 15.2A total for a pair, on a 15A switch?

Anyway I want to be able to independently control all the features of the LP9s and LP6s:

4x hi

4x lo

DRL

Since the lights come with connectors, wouldn’t it work best in a Raptor to simply get some 12ga wire and wire:

Hi LP9 AUX 1

Hi LP6 AUX 2

Lo LP9 AUX 3

Lo LP6 AUX 4

4 backlights tapped to DRL

Please do let me know if it is possible to use the BD harnesses you suggested, for the AUX switches in a Raptor, utilizing independent functions.
If so, what to do with switch, fuse and relay since the Raptor switches have them built in. Though the relay is necessary for the yellows to come on when spliced to parking lights.

If not using BD switch, what to do with two reds and two whites connecting to

ON - OFF - ON supplied switch

Wiring diagram is appreciated if you can help for suggested wiring using harness.

Hi Adam I think you misunderstand.
As Baja Says not to use Lo and Hi at the same time for a lamp,

2 LP9s Hi on one switch,
2 LP9 Lo on another,
2 LP6 Hi on another,
2 LP6 Lo on another,
Yellows on DRL
So using 4 switches and tap

Is that scheme so strange, Controlling two sets of lights with four switches. Kinda like a car’s lights, just two additional sets
OFF - LO - HI - DRL

As the lights come with a DT end and pins it would seem the parts of the BD harness would not be utilized, and discarded other than the wire for a 2018 Raptor, utilizing upfitters as I’ve outlined.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Triggering the high does both low/high. So you don't need to trigger the "low" as well.

Either turn the HIGHS ON or the LOWS ON. But don't power both at the same time.

Aux 1/2 are 15Amps max. 2 LP9s would be 15.2amps - too much power for the upfitter. You'd have to use a relay (or the BD Harness if you picked them up).

As I said, in my setup I use the LVJ Motosports relay setup. Same idea as the BD harness, only I have more control (for instance, I can flip my high beams on and the LP9 lows come on as an example, because of what the LVJ system lets me do).

You don't need the BD harness unless you don't want to do your own wiring. You can wire up the BD harnesses and use your upfitters to trigger the relays on them. The upfitters are not powering the lights, they are powering the relays, and the relays in turn pass power to the lights from the wiring direct from battery through the relay.

You're using the upfitters no matter but, what you won't have enough amperage allowance through the upfitters to do what you want. You could only run a single LP9 upfitters 1 through 4 (1/2 are 15amp, 3/4 are 10amp, 5/6 are 5amp, not enough juice on 5/6)

You could do Upfitters 1 & 2 going to an individual LP9 and upfitters 3/4 going to individual LP6's though.

You could do 2 LP6 on Upfitters 1/2 though although honestly only having a 2amp overhead isn't ideal. You really want some more then that. 13 amps of lights on a 15 amp fuse is maxing it out. The idea with fuses is they will flow if you short something or put too much current through it. Even though 13 is less then 15 it's very close. Keeping them on for a while MIGHT blow the fuse as the wires heat up a bit from the power.

I'd recommend putting LP9 highs together and use the BD harness w/relay on upfitter 1
I forget the exact amperage rating on the LOWS but i believe you can wire up the lows together on the LP9 to either switch 1 or 2, so you could do the lows on 2

The LP6 wired together using a relay (bd harness) on Switch 3
And again I forget the amperage rating on the LP6 for low mode but you might be able to wire them togther for upfitter 3/4..

or if anything use Switch 1 for LP9 high, Switch 2 for LP6 high, switch 3 for LP9 lows and Switch 4 for LP9 lows.

You have options, but you have to keep the amp ratings in mind. That's what relays are for.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Basically IF you have the BD harnesses, 2 of them, you are good.

Each harness will do 2 lights. So you use 1 harness for LP9 and 1 for LP6. You won't use the included switch you'll just use your upfitters instead.

The upfitters put out positive voltage so you'll use that to trigger the relay.

If you are not comfortable around relays/electronics i'd suggest you take it to a local shop to have them wire it up for you. Or you can make an appointment and we can do that for you here on Long Island.