Freak Accident or Weakness Found? Wheel Speed Sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree..design flaw..but then again, why didnt theirs break during the 2K mile ride through Anza? I agree though..its in the wrong place for sure...that makes me think to go look at my TPMS sensor...that thing works, then it toss's an alarm..probably should just bring it in for a diagnostics.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the term "design flaw". How about "vulnerability"?

A small guard would help protect this necessary component... just like when racing we used to add a screen made of hardware cloth in front of the radiator...

Considering the thousands of miles we've driven in our Raptors on similar terrain without incident, this was probably something of a "freak accident"... but definitely something to pay attention to.

Does anyone know if the sensor requires programming after installation? (it sounds like it might)

If no programming is needed, a right and left spare might not be a bad idea if you're planning to go on a remote trip (like to baja for a couple of weeks.)

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree..design flaw..but then again, why didnt theirs break during the 2K mile ride through Anza? I agree though..its in the wrong place for sure...that makes me think to go look at my TPMS sensor...that thing works, then it toss's an alarm..probably should just bring it in for a diagnostics.

Good luck with the TPMS. Mine has intermittent "sensor failures" all the time. The dealer says that there are no codes being set or "known issues" that they can find in the Ford database. If I didn't have the foresight to take a picture of the dash with the "sensor failure" warning displayed, I doubt they would have even believed me.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chad, thanks for the invite! We bailed for home right after picking the truck up Friday nite, but we'll look you up for sure next time we're in the area. Thanks!

Mark, I specifically asked that question and I didn't get a real good answer. The computer did have to be used, but I got the feeling that was more to clear all the codes and to run a diagnostic on the sensor, after install. I'm guessing that there is an initialize type action that happens when that diagnostic starts... After all something is changing on the sensor so that they're not swappable from truck to truck, and I doubt that 'something' happens automatically upon first startup.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the 04-06 Rubicons. Occaisionally a stone would be spat up by the front tires, hit the front driveshaft and get riccoched between the body and t-case skid. It would then slam into the locker pumps, usually fracturing one of the nipples which connected the air line from lockers to the pumps.

It never showed during tests (as they only run a handful of vehicles), but once you have thousands of these running around, this type of failure starts to show.

I just looked at where the VSS sensors (rear) are on my Jeep. They are on the rear side of the axle, between the axle tube and caliper, pretty well protected.

Ford needs to either relocate these to the trailing side of the hub, or put a shield on them. Heck they know about stone strikes, hence the fancy shield on the shock.

Andy

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...once you have thousands of these running around, this type of failure starts to show. Ford needs to either relocate these to the trailing side of the hub, or put a shield on them. Heck they know about stone strikes, hence the fancy shield on the shock.

Andy

Yup, relocating these things on future models is the way to go. In the meantime someone needs to make a nice little kit with small, heavy-duty steel protectors.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Wheel speed sensors are a pretty common issue on Fords. Generally, the sensor itself goes bad and all that is required to correct the issue is to replace it, there's no learning of it or calibrations to be done. I'm very surprised to hear that the Raptor has it's own sensor, the only reason I can think of is due to the extra distance the wider axle causes. Maaaaybe something having to do with the abs calibration in off-road mode too though. Oh and I vote for freak accident;)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are two bolts with exposed thread that look like they could be used as mounting points for a steel shield.

Here's a quick sketch (bolts have red dots on their ends):

attachment.php

View attachment 1144

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure a freak accident, not a flaw, in my book. These trucks have been tested in pretty much all environments known to man, very extensive I might add. If this is a design flaw one would think that it would have occurred on one or more occasion while in testing, and Ford would have added a $2 shield if they thought it would impact any large number of vehicles. Just my take anyways!