Frame Cut Front Recovery Points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 but figured this would be a good question for general off ridding.

For anyone who’s gone frame cut, what do you do for front recovery points?

I’m really wanting to go with a frame cut front bumper and hidden winch in the rear. Since my spare tire goes in the bed when off-roading anyways, I could just not carry the spare for daily driving. I’m always near civilization, carry a plug kit, have towing through insurance, and/or have friends who could grab my spare and runic out to me.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the tow hooks?

Just weld them on where they'll be accessible/usable.
Correct. I'm asking if once you expose everything up front with a frame cut if there's a good access points to use something like axle straps without having to weld on hooks.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For getting the truck unstuck, yeah, just loop around on of the tubes of the new bumper. Or weld a tow point on somewhere. Either way.

Brad12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously not a Gen 2, but here are the recovery points on my Gen 1 bumper from Forged Offroad. I don't think they make Gen 2 front bumpers though. You could do something similar.

924376bf4e88451ca691ed50eba17d6b.jpg

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you’re serious get a couple of short straps around the lower control arms loop a tree saver through the shorties add a soft shackle and pull to your heart’s content

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never loop around the bumper...I have seen tube bumpers from name brand manufacturers bend that way. Welding on your tow hooks (That you’re cutting off anyway) is not very expensive and has a much lower chance of failure and vehicle damage than any other option.

When I had my SVC Baja front bumper built that is exactly what they told me as well. It’s brand new and for sale by the way if anyone is interested. I decided to keep my existing bumper.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much depends on the specific bumper, ideally it would have a heavy shackle mount on each side (some can add them to your build). With my SVC Baja I drilled an extra hole in the frame (and used one existing hole) to bolt the stock tow hooks farther back on the frame (IMHO bolting is better than welding for this application):
IMG_0203.JPEG