GEN 1 Fox Shocks Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESPcoatings

Reaction score
Rock Auto has new fronts for $305.79 ea. and the rears for 342.79 ea. depending on what year you are shopping for. If you use 2010 with the 5.4 id will display both.
Ahhh. I couldn't find both for my 2011. Now it makes sense. Thanks!

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah see how much they are new ....I was thinking they were like 3000 new. So the shocks I got were like 725....and then add almost 400 for the core charge..since I got a hundred bucks back basically. So 1225.00 for rebuilt banged up shocks. I personally don't think I'll go with forged anymore, again the shocks work fine...but let's be real about what your getting and sending out to customers if you are going to really not give them crap for the core charge.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to turn this into a bash forged either lol, customer service was good don't get me wrong. Just my experience is all I'm going off of..others might have had a great experience

Forged Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my shocks weren't banged up at all just blown seals, I didn't really get anything on my core charge from forged. Shocks have been great but the core exchange needs to be checked out more imo. I can say my didn't have on ding. Rust, scrape nothing. Just blown seals. I got 115 bucks back for mine. If your rebuilding them and reselling them..they're gonna have blown seals....that have to be replaced anyways.

$500 Deposit/Core
-$100 2 Worn front shock bushings
-$62.50 Single front shock need refinish
-$98 1 Front shaft
-$124 Rear resi body have internal wear
115.50 refund.

The shocks I got are look rough compared to what I sent in. Mine cosmetically looked perfect. These I got look like they were used pretty hard.
I understand feeling one way or another about not getting your core/deposit charge back in full. The items replaced in your core shocks are critical to them functioning correctly and would cause far more QA issues if we did not replace said items. We have strived to make our process the best possible as we used to have QA issues due to not being as stringent with returned cores.

Now what I don't understand is you coming on an open forum and blatantly lying about the condition of your shocks and the condition of the ones we sent to you. We keep records of every set of shocks that comes in and goes out due to this very reason. Damage to the internals of these shocks WILL happen if you don't get them serviced in proper intervals. I've attached the intake and damaged part pictures for everyone's reference. Pic 1-Obvious cosmetic wear AND rust. Pic 2- Rust on front shock that required refinish. Pic 3- Rust on rear reservoir bodies. Pic 4 & 5- Those wear marks on the inside of the tube can cause the nitrogen piston to stick in that area and make a noticeable clunking noise.

I'm thinking buying new ones and selling the old ones (or keeping and sending to Fox for a rebuild) is the better option. Sounds like it's just as expensive to do the exchange in the end but you have rebuilt shocks rather than new. Idk. But the exchange program lost its luster after reading all the experiences regarding longevity, price, condition and security deposit deductions. Or am I missing something?

I am not trying to steer anyone in any direction, just spreading our experience and knowledge. You can buy new, but keep in mind that these shocks stopped being produced in 2015 time frame and have been sitting since. Seals will breakdown over time even if they are not used. We purchased roughly 60 sets of new shocks and found a failure rate of approximately 45%(not just seals but manufacture issues). That said it still not a bad idea to buy a new set as you won't have the wear issues but could cost you more that you bargained for.

If you sent your shocks to Fox and they had issues, they would advise you to replace x, y, or z part(s) and charge you the same as we would(same price too since they set MAP pricing). The difference being it's your choice to replace them whereas with an exchange program we have to replace them.
It's sad, think about it. Obviously the shocks need to be rebuilt...that's why we exchange or replace them. All the reviews I've seen pretty much are inline with my experience. Again the shock I got work great. Cosmetically they look rough. Mine looked perfect except for the fluid on the back side that leaked out. I'm sure this helps with profit margin but dang be honest about the returns not bs, or just be up front. Your getting 100 to 200 back guys not your 500 unless you send us shocks that aren't needing rebuilt lol
Condition issue addressed above. It doesn't help with the profit margin, it helps ensure the next set of shock that go out are the best we can possibly send out. It is clearly stated on our exchange page and our exchange policy that we can and will keep money from the core deposit to cover damaged parts(your lack of maintenance is not our fault). Not sure what else you want, a flashing sign that says your shocks aren't in as good of shape as you think?

They should know that Raptors have an image to uphold and have to look good from top to bottom!
No offense but that's not my responsibility. That's up to the individual owner of what "image" his or her truck upholds.

16462394492881766538364467907984.jpg16469293831351031392218655319757.jpg16469294428798696841065426732880.jpg16469324967852133876640144120813.jpg16469325122621377111118025052818.jpg

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding on how I want to respond but will take the time to take pics of the shocks I have now and the damage I'm referring to. If that rust on the backside is after the fluid was cleaned off then that 100% is on me for stating that and will gladly own that. I did say the product has been great but I do think the core exchange is nit picking due to the fact that I couldn't nit pic the damages on the shocks I have now. They aren't perfect not did I expect perfection other than working condition. But the damage on these shocks are not on the shocks I sent in. The ones on now definitely were beat up and used big time. Again I say these have been great and I'm happy with the product overall.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding on how I want to respond but will take the time to take pics of the shocks I have now and the damage I'm referring to. If that rust on the backside is after the fluid was cleaned off then that 100% is on me for stating that and will gladly own that. I did say the product has been great but I do think the core exchange is nit picking due to the fact that I couldn't nit pic the damages on the shocks I have now. They aren't perfect not did I expect perfection other than working condition. But the damage on these shocks are not on the shocks I sent in. The ones on now definitely were beat up and used big time. Again I say these have been great and I'm happy with the product overall.
IMO, forged or TSW or anyone else may or may not have the inventory at times to find shocks that match EXACTLY the condition cosmetically yours are in… they may even state this on their sites. That’s on you for sending yours in and expecting the same “cosmetic “ looking ones. They’re offfoad parts… they’re gonna be used lol. As long as they perform how they’re supposed to and uphold the tolerances as new ones I could care less.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, forged or TSW or anyone else may or may not have the inventory at times to find shocks that match EXACTLY the condition cosmetically yours are in… they may even state this on their sites. That’s on you for sending yours in and expecting the same “cosmetic “ looking ones. They’re offfoad parts… they’re gonna be used lol. As long as they perform how they’re supposed to and uphold the tolerances as new ones I could care less.
I don't disagree totally. However I still feel the core exchange is not the greatest. Once I can get the truck on a lift I'll take pics of the things I am talking about. I should've taken pics of all of the parts before and after myself, that's on me. As I said , 0 issues with the product working as it should.