Found the Humm problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was still on the hunt for why I get a humm after driving about an hour. Eliminated the sub system because it's wired to Aux 1 and I can turn it off. I did find that the filters were on Low pass instead of High, not related to the issue, but much better sound. When the main amp is off, no humm so I knew it was in there somewhere. Suspected maybe an RCA jack issue since the system had been installed at least 5 years ago. Pulling input cables 1 by 1 it is indeed related to one of the RCA jacks for channel 1 & 2. Now to solder in a new jack and see if it's the jack or the cable! Crazy thing also is that it sounds great (until it gets hot) with either DVD or USB, but "Fuzzy" highs from Sirius, but I think switching to High Pass fixed that but it may still be related to the bad cable / jack.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sounds like a geek problem to me, couple stereo guys on here should have an idea, hopefully.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple enough, either a bad jack or could be cable. I'll start by soldering in a new jack and see where that leads me. Pulling the cable then gives no noise so pretty well eliminates the amp - I hope.

OP
OP
Hilbilly Jack

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was simple enough all right! Bad wiring between the head unit and Kicker Front Row. Installer did not use a proper interface and made up wiring with RCA jacks, wires twisted together instead of soldered, crimp connectors etc. No wonder they are not in business any more and to top it off, their bill was $7,500!!! Found a great guy in Conway AR at Audio Innovations that actually knew the truck and diagnosed it in just a few minutes. $1,200 JL sub was not even bolted in to boot. Truck goes in Wednesday to get a proper interface installed and everything corrected as well as the sub bolted in. Amazing that even with top of the line gear a poor installation can still make it sound like crap.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you figure it out, stereo stuff these days is beyond my realm, back in the day, you were a guru if you could install your under dash equalizer, lol.