Found manufacturing for custom 5.4L intake tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a guy that is willing to manufacture custom intake tubes for us, similar to Jesse's, so that we can increase flow but retain our stock filter housing. However, I need the dimensions for the tube (specifically the angle or curvature). Can anyone help me?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting idea BK. Have you verified that the tube is the restriction? Not the housing, filter or throttle body?

I'll keep my feelers out for a stock tube. Probably the best thing to do moving forward is to send your contact a stocker to mold directly from.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the idea.....keep us posted! this is the way i want to go as well.

OP
OP
BKoolReturns

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can't find the dimensions, I'll look into sending the guy the stock tube when I get back from Iraq (although the part is $131.60 according to Ford Parts :( ). The idea is that we'll replace the stock Engine Air Box Hose with an aluminum tube similar to Jesse's. This will increase air flow by eliminating the silencers in the stock tube (although one remains in the throttle body). However, I cannot confirm that tube is a greater bottleneck than the stock housing or filter, so who knows, these effects may be negligible.

Nevertheless, I like this solution as a compromise between the vulnerability of a CAI to mud, dirt and dust and the benefits of increased air flow. The custom tube combined with the drop-in K&N air filter is my ideal solution. Assuming I can get the dimensions. Jesse, where are you?!

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I was going to try and mod the K&N tube to fit the stock box. Not sure what that requires but we'll see.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Roger that BK.

Consider this too; if you go metal, there might be an issue with heat retention, and therefore heating of the intake air. This is a VERY complicated subject, so I hesitate to bring it up since I have no data for the Raptor yet (I do with another platform; in fact we're about to kick off a a whole new set of tests to try and measure these exact effects in the real world)... but never the less its something to note and keep in mind.

Look forward to following your progress!

OP
OP
BKoolReturns

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth.jpg

In addition to my contact who was willing to manufacture the tubes for our intakes, I also contacted Airaid. Airaid has a line of Modular Intake Tubes, which are exactly what we want. Uninhibited high flow tubes designed to fit on stock filter boxes. Anyways, I received an email back from their Internet Customer Service Rep, and he told me that Airaid is working on both complete intake systems and Modular Intake Tubes for the 5.4L AND the 6.2L Raptor. He said the 5.4L options will be available within the next 3-4 weeks!

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry about that man...we wrote it all down, i left all the info at my office, i will look for it..but if i remember correctly, its 3" in diameter...but the bend and so on was the tricky part. I will see if i can go find it, then scan it...and post it.

I have found gains by eliminating all the silencers..minus the throttle body...so i left mine on and have yet to get it powder coated cause of it LOL its also lighter...not like that means much..but still, i have seen a difference...then i saw a bigger gain once i installed the K&N drop in air filter.

forgot to add...but doing this mod along with my drop in air filter...was more of a gain (MPG's) than my flowmaster exhaust...that super 44 is ok..sounds cool..but i would do this over that.

OP
OP
BKoolReturns

BKoolReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its cool. Glad you replied brother. If you find the specs, throw 'em up! Between the guy who is willing to make them for us, and Airaid, we should have a plethora (word of the day... score!) of options in about a month.