Found a potential Raptor to buy. Dealer is not very knowledgeable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Been on this forum for years and looking forward to the day when I could finally purchase one of these amazing trucks. I have been fortunate enough to drive both generations in the desert on several occasions and that's how the Raptor bug really hit me.

So here's where I'm at.
I'm not set on a gen 1 or 2 but trying to keep the cost around 50k.
I found a gen 2 at a dealer with the following mods.

ADD front mount intercooler
Eibach springs
37x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Method 20x9 wheels (really want a 17 or 18in rim but it is what it is)
everything else is cosmetic.

My main questions are what should I be looking for considering the truck is on 37's with no info on other suspension mods besides springs and wheels?
Also, would a tune be required to properly run an aftermarket intercooler?

Any help would be appreciated.

Richie

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert on suspension, but I would check clearance and rubbing with those 37s. The intercooler does not require a tune, but the presence of the intercooler might suggest it was already tuned.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
CV boots. apparently the lift for 37’s can be detrimental to the cv boot lifespan(?) there have been a few reports. From the mods, it doesn’t sound like this thing was taken anywhere more serious than a starbucks parking lot or drive thru.

I’d look elsewhere myself.

OP
OP
Richiemitchell

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV boots. apparently the lift for 37’s can be detrimental to the cv boot lifespan(?) there have been a few reports. From the mods, it doesn’t sound like this thing was taken anywhere more serious than a starbucks parking lot or drive thru.

I’d look elsewhere myself.
I'm hoping that Starbucks is the extent of where this truck has been taken. I would probably sell the wheel and tire to find something more practical for offroad. I really don't understand why people put 20in rims on these trucks. would I just look at the CV boots for tears or is the only way to really understand the wear by taking everything apart?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Gotta defer to the lifted folks or someone who’s dealt with the suspension issues from a repair perspective. Definitely check for tears on the boots, or brand new boots.

Whaler27

Reaction score
it is extremely expensive to lift a Raptor right, so 95% of the lifted Raptors have been done on the cheap (wrong). I learned this lesson the hard way... My Raptor was amazing stock. Then, last winter, I was spending more time playing with kids in the snow and ice, so I decided it would be good to take the new studded 37s off my Jeep and mount them on the Raptor. I figured the Raptor came with 35s, so a leveling kit should make 37s run with ample clearance, right?

So I went to a local shop that did lots of lift kit installations on everything but Raptors. The shop had a good reputation, and I’d had leveling kits installed in many trucks with no adverse effect, so I thought it was a safe plan. The owner of the shop recommended a “Readylift” collar kit which added about 2.75” in front (with collars) and 2” in the rear. He also gave me some 17” wheels to choose from which he assured me would work with no rubbing problems and no need to hack the crap out of the truck...

Well, the truck scraped/rubbed BAD as soon as it turned off the alignment rack. Their recommendation? “Trim”! But I would have had to hack, not trim, at least 1.5” from the back AND front, because the shop owner had no idea what he was doing when he recommended the selection of 9” wide wheels with -12 offset. Also, the Readylift system is a complete POS. The lift in back is achieved by swapping the OEM 2” block, already a bad idea, for a 4” block, a much worse idea (which causes axel-wrap/hop if you really get on it).

It was late at night when the work at the idiot shop was done, so I drove home slowly being extra careful to avoid any bumps while turning hard. Nothing about the eight mile drive home was good. I felt every seam on the highway and the steering, handling, and feel were awful.

The next morning I remounted the OEM tires and started research on how to lift a Raptor right. After about 30 hours of reading and talking to more knowledgeable guys I learned that doing 37s right — meaning keeping the suspension and drive feel while maintaining the performance, clearance, and off-road-ability —- is about a $30,000 adventure. That’s not for me. The alternative of hacking the crap out of my fender wells isn’t for me either, so the idiot-shop took their wheels back and I ordered some 35” studded Duratracs and mounted them on wheels with the proper offset.

I also removed the awful Readylift crap and installed Eibach springs up front and Icon (stage-2) springs in the rear. Now the truck is good again, though it’s a little firmer ride. That’s a good thing for us, as we occasionally tow a 5500 pound boat, and unmodified Raptors squat and get mushy with 700 pounds of tongue weight.

I‘d look hard at the truck you’re considering. Have the fender wells been hacked up? We’re the fenders cut with the flares being remounted higher up? Are there extra collars (top and/or bottom) on the front springs? Any evidence of hitting or rubbing? Then I’d drive the truck, making sure to turn in both directions while the suspension is being compressed (to check for rubbing in every day driving.) Does the truck feel good? No sluggish or heavy steering? No vibration or wheel shake at speed? Does it still have the factory Fox Shocks?

if it looks great and drives great, and the truck is otherwise what you want at a decent price, I’d buy it. You can swap wheels and tires later.

** Disclaimer: I know there are guys on this forum who run 37” tires and love them. I know it can be done with the Eibachs, Icons/Deavers, the right wheel offset, and enough cutting. In the end, these trucks feel like a regular F-150 with a 6” lift. If that’s your preference I say go for it. It’s just not for me.

OP
OP
Richiemitchell

Richiemitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is extremely expensive to lift a Raptor right, so 95% of the lifted Raptors have been done on the cheap (wrong). I learned this lesson the hard way... My Raptor was amazing stock. Then, last winter, I was spending more time playing with kids in the snow and ice, so I decided it would be good to take the new studded 37s off my Jeep and mount them on the Raptor. I figured the Raptor came with 35s, so a leveling kit should make 37s run with ample clearance, right?

So I went to a local shop that did lots of lift kit installations on everything but Raptors. The shop had a good reputation, and I’d had leveling kits installed in many trucks with no adverse effect, so I thought it was a safe plan. The owner of the shop recommended a “Readylift” collar kit which added about 2.75” in front (with collars) and 2” in the rear. He also gave me some 17” wheels to choose from which he assured me would work with no rubbing problems and no need to hack the crap out of the truck...

Well, the truck scraped/rubbed BAD as soon as it turned off the alignment rack. Their recommendation? “Trim”! But I would have had to hack, not trim, at least 1.5” from the back AND front, because the shop owner had no idea what he was doing when he recommended the selection of 9” wide wheels with -12 offset. Also, the Readylift system is a complete POS. The lift in back is achieved by swapping the OEM 2” block, already a bad idea, for a 4” block, a much worse idea (which causes axel-wrap/hop if you really get on it).

It was late at night when the work at the idiot shop was done, so I drove home slowly being extra careful to avoid any bumps while turning hard. Nothing about the eight mile drive home was good. I felt every seam on the highway and the steering, handling, and feel were awful.

The next morning I remounted the OEM tires and started research on how to lift a Raptor right. After about 30 hours of reading and talking to more knowledgeable guys I learned that doing 37s right — meaning keeping the suspension and drive feel while maintaining the performance, clearance, and off-road-ability —- is about a $30,000 adventure. That’s not for me. The alternative of hacking the crap out of my fender wells isn’t for me either, so the idiot-shop took their wheels back and I ordered some 35” studded Duratracs and mounted them on wheels with the proper offset.

I also removed the awful Readylift crap and installed Eibach springs up front and Icon (stage-2) springs in the rear. Now the truck is good again, though it’s a little firmer ride. That’s a good thing for us, as we occasionally tow a 5500 pound boat, and unmodified Raptors squat and get mushy with 700 pounds of tongue weight.

I‘d look hard at the truck you’re considering. Have the fender wells been hacked up? We’re the fenders cut with the flares being remounted higher up? Are there extra collars (top and/or bottom) on the front springs? Any evidence of hitting or rubbing? Then I’d drive the truck, making sure to turn in both directions while the suspension is being compressed (to check for rubbing in every day driving.) Does the truck feel good? No sluggish or heavy steering? No vibration or wheel shake at speed? Does it still have the factory Fox Shocks?

if it looks great and drives great, and the truck is otherwise what you want at a decent price, I’d buy it. You can swap wheels and tires later.

** Disclaimer: I know there are guys on this forum who run 37” tires and love them. I know it can be done with the Eibachs, Icons/Deavers, the right wheel offset, and enough cutting. In the end, these trucks feel like a regular F-150 with a 6” lift. If that’s your preference I say go for it. It’s just not for me.
Appreciate the insight. This forum has helped tremendously with avoiding costly mistakes. I've spent the last several weeks looking at how to do 37's properly on the gen 2 for off-road use. It seems to be a lot more than what this truck has and what I'm looking to spend on mods.

From what I've gathered about this truck. It is a mall crawler with enough cutting to avoid rubbing but is by no means set up to run off-road. I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait until the gen 3 comes out and see if the prices come down a little bit.

This specific truck seems like more issues than it's worth to set it up the way I want it. I would have to immediately sell the wheels and tires, find 17in wheels with 35's. + a spare. I have no idea how long the truck has had 37's on it which makes me question the life remaining on the CV's etc. The truck looks to have stock rear springs that are probably worn. I would want +3 Deavers and bump stops ideally.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight. This forum has helped tremendously with avoiding costly mistakes. I've spent the last several weeks looking at how to do 37's properly on the gen 2 for off-road use. It seems to be a lot more than what this truck has and what I'm looking to spend on mods.

From what I've gathered about this truck. It is a mall crawler with enough cutting to avoid rubbing but is by no means set up to run off-road. I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait until the gen 3 comes out and see if the prices come down a little bit.

This specific truck seems like more issues than it's worth to set it up the way I want it. I would have to immediately sell the wheels and tires, find 17in wheels with 35's. + a spare. I have no idea how long the truck has had 37's on it which makes me question the life remaining on the CV's etc. The truck looks to have stock rear springs that are probably worn. I would want +3 Deavers and bump stops ideally.
I’m all for modded vehicles, but a Raptors suspension should not be messed with in my opinion. I would look for a stock one under ideal circumstances (when used Raptors aren’t going for more then when they were new), but I understand that they are not that easy to come by.

Since this one seems to be a pavement princess (mine is and I have no shame about it) then I don’t think it’ll cause you any problems down the road.
Any pics of it?