ForScan for Newbs and must have mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, this question has been asked dozens of times. My preferred example is Lincoln Fold mirrors. I can easily see some S/M that you’ve ticked off making a thing of it in the event of a motor failure. That said, you can manually actuate the button as many times as you want to fold the mirrors.

I think unless you bricked a module - which I think could be possible if you did something a bit inarticulate, sure, they could deny warranty coverage for that repair, but not your entire warranty in perpetuity.

but most of the stuff we’re talking about is benign and I’m unaware of anyone having coverage on a repair denied for a FORSCAN mod.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant if the part you were wanting covered under warranty was a part or part of a system that you modified with forscan.

I guess it would depend on the dealer/tech, then how do they prove you modified it. Reality, they can’t.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to know if the FORScan changes are in the same module as the issue you are having warranty work done for. If they are, flash it back to stock before you take it in. Too easy.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to know if the FORScan changes are in the same module as the issue you are having warranty work done for. If they are, flash it back to stock before you take it in. Too easy.
Yea I just have a stock file and a “current” file and just flash it over to the stock whenever I’m going in

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the thread is Forscan for Newbs....newb question, once I have the application installed, does all the customizing/changing options have to take place while plugged into the ECM, or can I connect and download from my Raptor, make changes offline then go back into the truck and upload my changes?

Thinking of my experience with tuning maps, it was typically a connection and then sync to the ECM. Also, if I need to research everything I want to change ahead of time, I'd rather do that at my desk than sitting in the driver seat using my crappy laptop.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the thread is Forscan for Newbs....newb question, once I have the application installed, does all the customizing/changing options have to take place while plugged into the ECM, or can I connect and download from my Raptor, make changes offline then go back into the truck and upload my changes?

Thinking of my experience with tuning maps, it was typically a connection and then sync to the ECM. Also, if I need to research everything I want to change ahead of time, I'd rather do that at my desk than sitting in the driver seat using my crappy laptop.
The former…all changes must be done while your laptop is connected to the truck via Forscan cable. Just follow the prompts from there.

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked on the FORScan site to see what, if any, were the minimum requirements for a computer. I have a MAC, so I need to buy a cheap PC to use the software. Anyone have any idea of the minimum requirements?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you can run windoze on a mac partition if you have a laptop. else, pickup a used laptop with a non restricted os.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked on the FORScan site to see what, if any, were the minimum requirements for a computer. I have a MAC, so I need to buy a cheap PC to use the software. Anyone have any idea of the minimum requirements?
Yes. See post #35…click the link & scroll to the bottom of page to see “Supported platforms and adapters.”

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main Forscan thread is 200 pages long, is the excel file stickied or pinned some where on the forum or do I need to find it within that thread? Also noticed that thread is from 2017, assuming there would be a different gen 3 excel file to use.