ForScan for Newbs and must have mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased the OBDLINK® EX from Amazon and it came in. I am planning on changing a few items on the truck. Just a few questions first and then if anyone has any "must have" changes that I am missing if you could please be as kind to list them here. There is a ForScan thread, but it's up to about 80 pages, and it seems like the technology with this particular product and software has changed to make things much easier than editing lines of code.

Should I be purchasing the 1-year extended license for $12? Or is the free version pretty much all I would need? I don't think i'd be making many changes once I make my initial ones, but this also seems like it could be good for diagnostic troubleshooting and for repairs (activating ABS while doing a brake bleed comes to mind, possibly?). ForScan wouldn't help much on the trail since I don't keep a laptop, but I have a BlueDriver that can assist with that in my center console. I also like having the bluedriver because I can read and clear other vehicles too. So free version or pay $12 for an extended 1 year?

What are "must change" mods that you can confirm work with this particular device and software. If you can be descriptive, I'm sure it could help many others too.

I don't need "Bambi Mode" since I installed the SPV BD pro triple fog kit, so the current fog button does nothing. I am however looking to change:

1. Double Horn Honk (of course)
2. Transmission and Coolant Temps in gauge area
3. Access to cameras (especially front) at all times.
4. Change TPMS minimum value
5. No more horn honk when locking vehicle (or maybe I should not be hitting it twice??)

What else am I missing that you would recommend, or that I am incorrect on in my above list #1-5? Thanks in advance. I'll do another post coming soon of my triple fog light installation, but it's worth it and super easy for anyone on the fence.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say you have a pretty good list there. Add Glare Free...provided you have a 21 or 22. Allegedly, Glare Free can't be done for 23s due to them not having the required chip. You may be interested in adding Lincoln Fold Mirrors (trucks have autofold which is enough for me) & Global Windows (windows activated via the key fob). If you're knocking all of this out in a day then just do the free version, save the 12 bucks for beer. LOL You can always get the free version should something else pop up later that you want to do.

Almost forget, certainly add 1) the parking lamps on with the DRLs, 2) crank up the brightness on the DRLs, & 3) lane change blinker from standard 3 to choice of either none to 8 blinks (personally, changed mine to 5).

Key note: remember to back up your modules "BEFORE" changing anything. Have fun!

Last edited:

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the list of changes I made:

Amber lights and surrounds as DRL

—max brightness for marker LEDs

Seatbelt chime delete

Double honk delete

Temp above gauges

Global windows open/close

Reverse mirror dip

Subwoofer on Aux for boosted bass

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Subwoofer on Aux for boosted bass
doesn’t this also have the effect of turning off auto stop / start? If so, that may also turn off the BMS; I know one of the mods for subwoofer does.

Definitely ; suppress the double horn honk, and I’ve really come to like Lincoln fold mirrors.

Jen Too here, so also seats / wheel icons on sync home page.
Tried repeatedly to turn off the seat belt chime via the manual, got successful indicators twice, but it would not go away, so I turned it off in FORSCAN :-D

After getting the belt chimes off, I turned off the others as well, including the door opening “Do-do-do”. There’s no FORSCAN option for “do-***”. development opportunity right there.

The only chime left that bugs me is that accursed ‘parking brake is on’ if you’re in any other gear but park. I get why it’s there, but it’s a pain for me because of the stereo mods. There’s some latency in the RF DSR1, and when I do this, there’s a volume increase, stereo blasts for an instant and switches to a really loud chime, then reverts to normal volume. #FirstWorldProblems

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say you have a pretty good list there. Add Glare Free...provided you have a 21 or 22. Allegedly, Glare Free can't be done for 23s due to them not having the required chip. You may be interested in adding Lincoln Mirrors (trucks have autofold which is enough for me) & Global Windows (windows activated via the key fob). If you're knocking all of this out in a day then just do the free version, save the 12 bucks for beer. LOL You can always get the free version should something else pop up later that you want to do.

Almost forget, certainly add 1) the parking lamps on with the DRLs, 2) crank up the brightness on the DRLs, & 3) lane change blinker from standard 3 to choice of either none to 8 blinks (personally changed mine to 5).

Key note: remember to back up your modules "BEFORE" changing anything. Have fun!
silly question. what does the glare free headlight setting actually do?

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the same OBD Link EK from their website, and will be going through the same questions in my mind in about a week here once it comes in. so wanted to jump in for updates on this thread. Thanks for the initial list, I agree the original thread being 80 pages is a bit much to dissect.

The DRL changes have me a bit more interested...really just wanted to solve the double horn honk but seems like there is a lot more to explore.

next up for me..I need a laptop....

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can see it working but haven't any pictures. Check out this video for an explanation.

silly question. what does the glare free headlight setting actually do?
I asked that very same question way back when. Check out the video above that gives a better explanation than I'd give.
The DRL changes have me a bit more interested...really just wanted to solve the double horn honk but seems like there is a lot more to explore.
Lots more...
Hey man. Found this in the fourm. Save you some time searching or waiting for an answer.
Thanks bro!:happy160: