Forscan changes - tweak your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter if it's 40 or 70 or 90 or whatever? With the georotor style oil pumps, it's either going to have good oil pressure, or the oil pump gears will shatter and you will instantly have zero pressure. The dummy light is all that's needed.

Respectfully disagree here, Eric. With a georotor style pump, The close tolerance between the gears acts as a seal between the suction and discharge ports. If the pump wears excessively, then it can't maintain a seal to effectively pump and maintain pressure. This could either: 1. result in oil starvation to the remote parts of the engine, as the pressure drop across the system may be sufficient to prevent oil from reaching these areas or 2. even it it's pumping 'some', it could still indicate that other parts are excessively wearing/worn as well and it's time for a teardown and rebuild. But without knowing exactly what the pressure is, I won't be able to identify that, and the idiot light wouldn't trigger in time to identify this either. This could be especially important in a well running, but high-mileage engine. SO yes, if oil pressure is 40 when it should be 90 (cold start) or 10 when it should be 35 (warm cruise) it really DOES matter.

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my '98 Tacoma with the 5VZ-Fe engine and about 190k miles. I know what pressure should be at warm idle and at highway speed so I can monitor these, and if I see either that is outside (below) spec I'll know it's time to start investigating this small problem (worn oil pump) before it turns into a big problem (spun bearing, broken camshaft). With the on/off switch and the 'false' pressure gauge on the 3.5EB, by the time pressure drops low enough to trigger a low pressure warning there may already be severe damage occurring to other internals of the engine, esp the turbos.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure PID output (not the dash idiot gauge) varies significantly,depending on engine load. At very light loads the oil pressure is around 25-30 psi regardless of rpm. If you apply a load to the engine such as uphill or pressing accelerator pedal for more power, the oil pressure PID will jump up to ~ 70 psi. I haven’t verified this with a mechanical gauge, but it SEEMS that the 3.5 Ecoboost may have load-switched variable pressure relief valve. My hypothesis is enhance fuel economy under very light loads by reducing parasitic drag on the engine. I can’t prove it, nor do I need to. Just my observations and theory.

cptcrush

Reaction score
Is there a working instructions for getting passenger side mirror to go down when reverse is engaged? Thanks

DF105

Reaction score
Is there a working instructions for getting passenger side mirror to go down when reverse is engaged? Thanks

I'm having trouble with this one. I have successfully made several changes that work great. I have carefully followed the codes and instructions, but my mirrors don't budget when shifted into reverse.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
I got this from somewhere, don't remember where... sorry author, can't credit you.

REVERSE TILT MIRROR
1. Ignition on
2. Press the memory button (in my case 1 until memory saved)
3. Select the driver or passenger side mirror
4. Shift into Reverse
5. Tilt the mirror down manually (mine did not automatically tilt as in other posts)
6. Press the memory button and hold for 5 seconds (you will not get a prompt that it's saved)
7. Return to Park
8. Adjust mirror manually to the normal position (mine did not return to it's original position as in other posts)
9. Hold memory button until saved

Ruby Raptor

Reaction score
Tried the tip above and didn’t seem to work on my 2017. Always got the saved message when pressing the memory button, not sure why or if that is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
to confirm, you have made the adjustments in Forscan first?

Livnitup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reverse mirror dip isn't working on the 2018s for some reason and we haven't figured it out....yet.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have tried severaL times to download and install the driver for the OBDII device to Windows 10 and failure each time.
Driver error is what it consistently says.

I have downloaded the driver at: www.elm327.com
driver: PL2303 USB OBDII Driver

BTW - I bought the USB OBDII ELM without the switch on it - is that the problem?

Any other sources or suggestions please?

Last edited:

Bearcat

Reaction score
You definitely want the OBDII connector with the MS Can and HS Can switch......if you have the hard wire version.