@Fordtechone - collision assist slammed on the brakes in heavy snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with @bluesmurf

Malfunction due to snow/ice build up on front sensors wherever they are

@Small Town Raptor I’ve had front collision sensor/CC/front camera disable itself along the 401 in your neck of the woods
Looks like the emerg braking system didn’t disable itself and I wonder if it does if the front gets all iced up.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with @bluesmurf

Malfunction due to snow/ice build up on front sensors wherever they are

@Small Town Raptor I’ve had front collision sensor/CC/front camera disable itself along the 401 in your neck of the woods
Looks like the emerg braking system didn’t disable itself and I wonder if it does if the front gets all iced up.

even when turned off, while driving in snow behind other trucks or foggy conditions there is some warnings that pop up about disabled systems or cameras being blocked. if you're an alert driver, i dont think its needed.. .

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i turned it off the first time driving in a downpour at night, while going thru a green light in the country darkness and the dash turned red, and all the chimes started.. never looked back.

im sure theres plenty of situation where this system is very useful, but bad weather isnt one of them. too many other factors in play. at least nothing bad happened, and no collisions happened, while AI was avoiding a collision with a snowflake...
:Big Laugh: It sure does get your attention the first time everything goes red and the warnings go off! I almost crapped myself the first time it happened, all I was doing was rounding a car I had been following that was turning right, off the road, in front of me. Every false signal was pretty much the exact same circumstances.

Last edited:

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two lane highway, vehicle stopped to make a left turn waiting for an on coming car to go by. I'm going 65 and can see that the vehicle will be completing its turn before I get there with no need for me to lift and it goes off. Scared the sh!at out of me. Second time it did it to me, I shut it off. Along with lane keeping assist, auto wipers, etc.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this technology is a catch 22. Nice (hell amazing) when it works but when it doesn't it can be nuts/shit show.

My example would be "trail control" where you can set speed 10pmh or lower on a trail.

Well I was on a pretty rough trail, set it to 5pmh. Was going great until I came up to a shelf about 10 inches tall.

Got to it and the truck stopped, computer slowly applied throttle until it climb over which was probably damn near 100% throttle.

Off to the races on a rough ass road we went.

It was like going up to obstacle it applied 0-10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80-90% throttle and HAD to drop throttle 90-80-70-60-50-40-30-20-10-0%

It was all of 5ish seconds but it was unnerving.

Obvious to me that a human can react quicker to abnormal/extreme circumstances.

The 30 minutes prior I thought it was pretty cool.

I have not used trail control since.
Interesting. I used it once when I got the truck in 19, but haven't used it since. I'm pretty sure there are some situations it will work better than me, but so far, I just pick the drive mode and sometimes M mode and limp up, down, or through whatever and no muss, no fuss.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, I'm not looking to discredit the witness, but a younger me might have stretched the truth a little about what happened to my parents, on occasion.
As for my 19 with the 802A, some of those systems seem to turn themself off in heavier snow and ice, rather than anything else. I'm not saying it didn't happen.
I think someone posted that the pre-collision assist applies the brakes - from what I can tell, it only augments your braking enough to avoid the collision. Typically, I'll light it up when the left turning car is going to clear my path, so I #neverlift, only to get the warning. But it doesn't slam on my brakes, only scares the passengers.

One time someone pulled in front of me off a sidestreet and it lit up and helped the braking. It came down to inches and I think the assist avoided what would have been contact. So, the odd false positive is fine by me.
The first time it happened, almost crap'd myself tho. Incoming non sequitur...

A decent comparison of a mostly loaded highway truck alongside a mostly loaded off-highway truck.
V-Z82Uc1U2Lt2Zi2rYAsz3z9Qz=w900-h678-no?authuser=0.jpg

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy with a Corvette that locked up a wheel at 130mph due to a faulty body control module and activated the TC. Made him *** it up into a wall. Can't stand that nanny shit. Turn it all off and get back to driving skill. All this stuff just makes people worse drivers.