Fords answer to the TRX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Somewhat rant mode I guess....I truly for the life of me don’t understand the hostility toward people liking V8’s.

I'm sure there are some out there, but odd that you see this as people bashing V8s, rather that V8 lovers bashing V6TT.

I feel like I’m talking to a bunch of children that wanna just compare **** sizes. It’s just an engine preference and everyone freaks out and IDK why. Objectively just seems like a bunch of insecure folks on the Gen2 validating their truck. You can see this cause you go to the Gen2 forum and they still argue about it just among themselves.

IMO The raptor is a big truck and I want a comparable real engine to pull that big truck.

So the V6TT isn't a real engine? You sure it's V8 lover's bashing V6TT, or is it the other way around.

I have no interest in a small maximum engineered engine squeezing the life out of it to make it move. I like pushing the flat thingy and it starts moving instantly. And you can tell me it’s modernization and technology and that’s fine but I won’t be buying it.

That's fine. Don't get it you don't want it. You could have that wasn't your thing without stating that a V6TT wasn't a real engine. And yes, the Gen 2 moves when you give it gas.

Everyone bashes the V8 likes it’s just a bunch of old senile (Biden) men. Except it is currently today a mass produced engine block in a ton of lineups and a raptor competitor just put one in their brand new truck. So it clearly has a market and isn’t gone forever to y’all’s dismay it would seem.

Everyone is bashing the V8? Not seeing that. I do see people predicting that ford is going to move further a way from V8s, given their investment in TTs and electric. I don't see that as bashing the V8 or people that like them.

Also I hope you know when a democrat promises we will be 100% clean energy by such and such and electric and blah blah blah...they are lying to you! They will be out of office long before than and so it is someone else’s problem. They are just tiptoeing the line of BS to you to try to keep the left from devouring their own. They don’t know the weather in 3 days let alone wtf is going to be happening in 20 years with power. For all they know we will all be dead by that time or in flying cars, but they just shovel out shit to feed the baby birds today cause they aren’t accountable to anything.

CAFE standards do exist though, and although they are not too restricting now, it takes very little effort to increase restrictions and keep companies from producing gas guzzlers in large quantities. Also, gas prices are very cheap right now, but they could very well skyrocket again in the near future. A big part of the reason prices are low is because of US fracking, which the democrats pledge to ban. In my opinion, it's smart for Ford and others to work towards greater fuel efficiency, whether really necessary now or not, since there's a good chance it will be necessary to sell vehicles.

This is America so do what you want and buy what you want...God knows I will

Yes, do what you want. I don't have any issue with V8s or V6TT. When it comes to my next vehicle, I'll decide what I want and what I can afford.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I'm sure there are some out there, but odd that you see this as people bashing V8s, rather that V8 lovers bashing V6TT.

So the V6TT isn't a real engine? You sure it's V8 lover's bashing V6TT, or is it the other way around.

That's fine. Don't get it you don't want it. You could have that wasn't your thing without stating that a V6TT wasn't a real engine. And yes, the Gen 2 moves when you give it gas.

Everyone is bashing the V8? Not seeing that. I do see people predicting that ford is going to move further a way from V8s, given their investment in TTs and electric. I don't see that as bashing the V8 or people that like them.

CAFE standards do exist though, and although they are not too restricting now, it takes very little effort to increase restrictions and keep companies from producing gas guzzlers in large quantities. Also, gas prices are very cheap right now, but they could very well skyrocket again in the near future. A big part of the reason prices are low is because of US fracking, which the democrats pledge to ban. In my opinion, it's smart for Ford and others to work towards greater fuel efficiency, whether really necessary now or not, since there's a good chance it will be necessary to sell vehicles.

Yes, do what you want. I don't have any issue with V8s or V6TT. When it comes to my next vehicle, I'll decide what I want and what I can afford.

ha, your post proves my point. I never once said anything bad about the Tacoma engine yet you keep repeating it like it’s true. Who cares, Ford can do whatever it wants. But the raptor is a specialty vehicle similar to the Mustang and they get a bunch of engine choices but the raptor gets none. I think that is a mistake by ford and they will lose money from it.

And if you don’t see what’s literally all over the site well good for you I guess. They literally made the Gen2 boys an entire new site just to try to break up the pissing contest. When you’d think we should be able to just be on a single site. I’m just sick of everything being so polarized. Bro who cares what anyone thinks, if you enjoy your truck then perfect. All I’m saying ultimately is I’m sick of the fighting about it on here and I wish ford would just let us have the options to pick for ourselves what we would like to put in an other wise completely Bad @$$ truck

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ha, your post proves my point. I never once said anything bad about the Tacoma engine yet you keep repeating it like it’s true.

Tacoma? I assume that's a typo, and you're referring to the V6TT. Regardless, you stated that you thought that Raptor should have a "real engine". It's not hard to understand the implication that you don't see the V6TT as a real engine. Are you unaware of the obvious implication of your words? You can easily say that you want a V8 without saying anything about what the Raptor has, but that's not what you did. Stop pretending that the subtle digs at the V6TT aren't there.

Who cares, Ford can do whatever it wants. But the raptor is a specialty vehicle similar to the Mustang and they get a bunch of engine choices but the raptor gets none. I think that is a mistake by ford and they will lose money from it.

It's been 4 years now, and that hasn't really been the case. They don't seem to be losing money. But with the TRX, maybe they do need to offer different engine options, and perhaps they will if rumors are true.

And if you don’t see what’s literally all over the site well good for you I guess. They literally made the Gen2 boys an entire new site just to try to break up the pissing contest. When you’d think we should be able to just be on a single site. I’m just sick of everything being so polarized.

I didn't say there was no animosity between V8 lovers and those who own Gen 2s. There certain is some. I said the implication that it's all Gen 2 owners starting up stuff with V8 lovers is completely false. If you don't like everything polarized, then don't be polarizing by implying that the V6TT isn't a comparable real engine for the Raptor.

As far as why there is a Gen 1 and Gen 2 section of the forum, I don't know what happened years ago, but currently, I'm glad it's split. Not because of potential disagreements, but because it's easier to know whether mods and information is about a Gen 1 or Gen 2 if it's divided up as it is. I hope that once a Gen 3 is officially announced, we see another split, for that very reason.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a blown V8 in my Raptor. But then I would no longer use it as a daily driver, and likely be priced out of the segment. At $75K the truck is just affordable enough to be in reach for a large number of consumers, at $100K (where it will end up) they lose the volume they have. So I'm sure Ford will do some limited release if they do entertain the V8 idea likely with a premium price of $100K+. While the Ecoboost/Powerboost will be their ultra high margin and volume bread and butter. The Raptor is not nearly as "exclusive" or limited in production as the Gen1 supposedly was. Time will tell.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Ha, You keep putting words in my mouth I never said so it feels like we aren’t really having a conversation. But no it isn’t a typo, the Taco has a 3.5L V6 and the Raptor has a 3.5L V6 so since I owned a taco first with that engine I call it the taco engine. The forum, myself included, has a bunch of ppl who don’t upgrade because of the engine conundrum so that is a direct example of lost money. And For me personally, if they keep going down the rabbit hole I’ll never buy another raptor. And No I’m not talking about different sections of this site (Which is all that really should be needed). I’m talking about The admins went and built you Gen2 guys a whole new website just for you cause ppl couldn’t play well together. Like a bunch of school kids being in different playgrounds cause they don’t get along.

@DFS i wonder if they didn’t go as insane on the Tech if that would allow them to make a V8 without going into the 6 figure prices point perhaps?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, You keep putting words in my mouth I never said so it feels like we aren’t really having a conversation. But no it isn’t a typo, the Taco has a 3.5L V6 and the Raptor has a 3.5L V6 so since I owned a taco first with that engine I call it the taco engine. The forum, myself included, has a bunch of ppl who don’t upgrade because of the engine conundrum so that is a direct example of lost money. And For me personally, if they keep going down the rabbit hole I’ll never buy another raptor. And No I’m not talking about different sections of this site (Which is all that really should be needed). I’m talking about The admins went and built you Gen2 guys a whole new website just for you cause ppl couldn’t play well together. Like a bunch of school kids being in different playgrounds cause they don’t get along.

@DFS i wonder if they didn’t go as insane on the Tech if that would allow them to make a V8 without going into the 6 figure prices point perhaps?

I'd like the idea, but probably too similar to buying an XL or XLT with the 5.0 and modding it yourself. I could debate myself in circles with this very subject!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha, You keep putting words in my mouth I never said so it feels like we aren’t really having a conversation.

IMO The raptor is a big truck and I want a comparable real engine to pull that big truck.

The italics above is your words. You didn't mean to imply that the V6TT is not a comparable real engine?

But no it isn’t a typo, the Taco has a 3.5L V6 and the Raptor has a 3.5L V6 so since I owned a taco first with that engine I call it the taco engine.

The Tacoma has a twin turbo?

The forum, myself included, has a bunch of ppl who don’t upgrade because of the engine conundrum so that is a direct example of lost money.

They have plenty of market for the Gen 2. Does it appeal to everyone? No. No vehicle every will.

And For me personally, if they keep going down the rabbit hole I’ll never buy another raptor. And No I’m not talking about different sections of this site (Which is all that really should be needed). I’m talking about The admins went and built you Gen2 guys a whole new website just for you cause ppl couldn’t play well together. Like a bunch of school kids being in different playgrounds cause they don’t get along.

I'm not aware of any other website but this one.

Bad V2

Reaction score
Ford is smart. They invested billions in Ecoboost motors. The V8's are nice, especially for just the sound of it. Off roading, it really doesn't matter as I have been with both V8 and V6 Raptors, and suspension is where it counts. But, where most peeps use Raptors is on the street for daily drivers, me included. I have my heavy ass Dodge diesel for the dirt. I would not own a gas guzzling Raptor, like the TRX will be, for a daily. So, the V6 is awesome for me. Still fast and gets good mpg's, just doesn't sound cool. Why can't it be 'to each his own' and just enjoy the Raptor. TRX will just make the Raptor better.