Fording Water

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1000hp

Reaction score
I did a quickie search and didn't find anything, but please excuse me if I missed a thread somewhere.

How deep can these trucks go before they start incurring water?
I'm not too concerned about drowning the engine, as I don't plan on getting anywhere near that deep, but when my street floods it could easily get up above the lower door gap. How well do the door weatherstrips keep water out if I find myself swimming?

Thanks

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
30 for the Gen 1 and 32 for the Gen 2. This information is included in the supplemental raptor manual.

OP
OP

1000hp

Reaction score
30 for the Gen 1 and 32 for the Gen 2. This information is included in the supplemental raptor manual.

Thanks. And is that the actual limit, or the official Ford's Lawyers limit?
My truck is also mid-perched. Does that get me another couple of inches?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did a quickie search and didn't find anything, but please excuse me if I missed a thread somewhere.

I'm not too concerned about drowning the engine, as I don't plan on getting anywhere near that deep, but when my street floods it could easily get up above the lower door gap. How well do the door weatherstrips keep water out if I find myself swimming?

Thanks

You're overthinking it. If we're just talking about the lower door gap (ish), you're fine. I wouldn't stop and hang out there though.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regardless, it’s recommended that you do a fluid change due to potential differential oil water contamination in the front and rear if water goes above the wheel hubs. I’d use that as more of a guideline. If your fluid gets contaminated, you may have increased longterm wear and/or premature gear set failure at some point depending on the amount of water that gets in.

Also keep in mind that your transfer case and transmission also have open air breathers similar to the diffs. You may want to extend/relocate these if regular water crossing is likely.

OP
OP

1000hp

Reaction score
You're overthinking it. If we're just talking about the lower door gap (ish), you're fine. I wouldn't stop and hang out there though.

Hopefully this damn street won't flood again this year anyway. I don't plan on dunking it. Just want to know when I need to stop and back up to avoid flooding the carpet. I appreciate the input.

Vash said:
Regardless, it’s recommended that you do a fluid change due to potential differential oil water contamination in the front and rear if water goes above the wheel hubs. I’d use that as more of a guideline. If your fluid gets contaminated, you may have increased longterm wear and/or premature gear set failure at some point depending on the amount of water that gets in.

Also keep in mind that your transfer case and transmission also have open air breathers similar to the diffs. You may want to extend/relocate these if regular water crossing is likely.
Agreed. That goes for any vehicle, IMO

I will add hoses to the vents if there aren't hoses there already. I've only had the truck a week, so I haven't done a lot of poking around yet.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'm up 3 inches in the front and up a inch in the rear. I am also on 37s.

Ive had my truck into 35.7" of water. ( yes I measured ) Not that I wanted to, but we ended up getting 3" of rain in about 35 mins and the storm drains in metarie, LA arent designed for that.

I did change all of the fluids the following week, but did not really see any water contamination.

No water inside the truck at all. no dampness, etc.

I will be extending the breathers when i get the chance.

You're pretty much going to be limited by 2 things.

1. The intake location.

2. The amount of dielectric grase packed into all of your electrical connections.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks

It will go deeper than you think. Keep water out of the intake. You may get water into the differential, however...
https://youtu.be/bv5Il-Jj6Sc

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.47.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.47.43 PM.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP

1000hp

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I don't think it's going to get anywhere near the intake where I would need to go. But good to know.