Ford Warns Dealers to Knock It Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On Jalopnik, there was a reprint of an email Ford sent to dealers warning them they will lose their allocations of the F150 Lightning if they demand customers pony up money to remain on the reservation list.

But then, Yeaaaa, Ford, for watering that down by giving dealers permission to make customers sign they will not flip/sell the vehicle for the first year, as if it's some exotic. What an f'in joke.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like that they're cracking down on these ***hole dealers for ADM. It would be nice if this strategy would trickle into Raptor sales.

But it is ridiculous that they're treating it like a Ford GT where you can't sell it for a year.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirror BS from Ford, not what you are saying, but Ford isn't really doing much about it, considering the lightning is behind on production and will probably change it's mind by the time they end up on dealers lots or in customers hands. Dealers are basically allowed to make huge profits, they are probably making more off of each Raptor than Ford is, ha ha.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that they're cracking down on these ***hole dealers for ADM. It would be nice if this strategy would trickle into Raptor sales.

But it is ridiculous that they're treating it like a Ford GT where you can't sell it for a year.

Ford is cracking down ONLY on the reservation down payment. Ford cannot and will not crack down on ADM that a dealer charges at the point of sale. This is what truly needs fixed, not the reservation payments people pay on vehicles.

What other manufacturers out there prohibit ADMs? Was Porsche one of them? I know that Tesla does not have an ADM.... that's about it.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ford is cracking down ONLY on the reservation down payment. Ford cannot and will not crack down on ADM that a dealer charges at the point of sale. This is what truly needs fixed, not the reservation payments people pay on vehicles.

What other manufacturers out there prohibit ADMs? Was Porsche one of them? I know that Tesla does not have an ADM.... that's about it.
Ohhhh, that sucks.

I wish all mfgr's would simplify the ordering process like Tesla.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ford absolutely can crack down on ADMs. They can refuse to allocate to any dealership who charges ADM. Other manufactures (not vehicles) enforce MSRP, it' certainly legal to do so. The reason Ford and others don't is because a dealer can start selling other brands if they don't like it, and you can't always get a new dealer in that region.

I think this dynamic is starting to change now. Buyers are willing to shop via the internet, meaning that dealer location is less important and charging ADM can backfire on a dealer.
I think Ford is more concerned about ADM on these new EV vehicles as they don't want them to be looked at as pricy and they want as many on the road as possible. EVs will sell better as they see more people trusting the technology. That's not the same for a Raptor or Bronco, as people want to buy and be the only one on the road driving one.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford absolutely can crack down on ADMs. They can refuse to allocate to any dealership who charges ADM. Other manufactures (not vehicles) enforce MSRP, it' certainly legal to do so. The reason Ford and others don't is because a dealer can start selling other brands if they don't like it, and you can't always get a new dealer in that region.

I think this dynamic is starting to change now. Buyers are willing to shop via the internet, meaning that dealer location is less important and charging ADM can backfire on a dealer.
I think Ford is more concerned about ADM on these new EV vehicles as they don't want them to be looked at as pricy and they want as many on the road as possible. EVs will sell better as they see more people trusting the technology. That's not the same for a Raptor or Bronco, as people want to buy and be the only one on the road driving one.
Yeah, at one time a Raptor was fairly exclusive. Now I see them coming and going. Not to mention the fake ones.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in Westchester. Saw at least 3 today, a white one, silver, which is somewhat rare color, and black.

Drove to a gyro truck on Bell and Northern Boulevard right off the Throgs Neck Bridge. I've been having issues driving over bridges so purposely went over one today. Worked out well, I am happy to say.