GEN 2 Ford wants to put in new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor10X

Reaction score
So.. I just bought a used 2nd Gen from Ford that received one replacement engine under warranty due to same noise concerns you had - low oil pressure and determined it was the oil pump. I have seen the service history including after it was reacquired.

The engine was replaced a 2nd time with LH Turbo after Ford reacquired the vehicle / buy back. I don't know if the 2nd was due to installer error or perhaps something with the left turbo caused it. Perhaps if it had been replaced with the 1st engine all would have been good. There was no clarification as to why it received the 2nd engine.

I am content with a new engine and have the remainder of original warranty and also 1 year warranty from Ford that started the day I purchased it.

Although it's disappointing that your new vehicle requires a replacement engine, it may futile to fight for a new vehicle. You will want to check the lemon laws in your state. I suspect Ford opted to replace the engine because this is a known, although un-publicized issue.

Hope this helps. Happy to chat with you offline StueyMinion.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the new engine and get rid of this truck. Engine install at some local dealer will never be the same as factory. If You think that Jamal and Jose will do a good job putting a new engine then good luck with that.

This truck would have a problems in a long run. Tell the dealer to order u 2019 and trade is one. 2019 is the raptor that u want

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
So.. I just bought a used 2nd Gen from Ford that received one replacement engine under warranty due to same noise concerns you had - low oil pressure and determined it was the oil pump. I have seen the service history including after it was reacquired.

The engine was replaced a 2nd time with LH Turbo after Ford reacquired the vehicle / buy back. I don't know if the 2nd was due to installer error or perhaps something with the left turbo caused it. Perhaps if it had been replaced with the 1st engine all would have been good. There was no clarification as to why it received the 2nd engine.

I am content with a new engine and have the remainder of original warranty and also 1 year warranty from Ford that started the day I purchased it.

Although it's disappointing that your new vehicle requires a replacement engine, it may futile to fight for a new vehicle. You will want to check the lemon laws in your state. I suspect Ford opted to replace the engine because this is a known, although un-publicized issue.

Hello. Sorry for late post. I didn’t get notice on my phone there was a new post. Your note about oil pressure and oil pump is interesting. I never noticed low oil pressure. The dealership did say the sound was loudest from oil pan but that could have just been because oil pan was composite and amplified sound. In any event, my understanding is ford didn’t know exactly what the sound was so they wanted the engine back to investigate.

Got the truck back with new engine yesterday. Haven’t had chance to drive a lot yet to check out but so far so good. Will drive this weekend for many miles. Still pursuing buy back so we will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Get the new engine and get rid of this truck. Engine install at some local dealer will never be the same as factory. If You think that Jamal and Jose will do a good job putting a new engine then good luck with that.

This truck would have a problems in a long run. Tell the dealer to order u 2019 and trade is one. 2019 is the raptor that u want

We will see what happens. Still pursuing but back or other options. Maybe dealer will step up and offer good deal towards 2019. Don’t know. Just playing out the process right now.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score

It also only made the sound when in gear. Switch to neutral or park sound immediately went away. I’m no engine expert but could an oil pump display those aspects? So sound disappears when in park\neutral? I told ford rep I would like to know what cause of sound was when ford figures it out.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It also only made the sound when in gear. Switch to neutral or park sound immediately went away. I’m no engine expert but could an oil pump display those aspects? So sound disappears when in park\neutral? I told ford rep I would like to know what cause of sound was when ford figures it out.

Only time I have heard what your describing ended up being loose torque converter bolts. Best of luck with the new motor.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Only time I have heard what your describing ended up being loose torque converter bolts. Best of luck with the new motor.

I thought same thing. Mentioned that to them. I think ford and their engineers were convinced it was in engine. Nothing I can do at this point. New engine is in. Just move forward. Life is short. Never know what day could be your last so can’t live angry every day. Still pursuing but back so I see what options are available. We shall see.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
I thought same thing. Mentioned that to them. I think ford and their engineers were convinced it was in engine. Nothing I can do at this point. New engine is in. Just move forward. Life is short. Never know what day could be your last so can’t live angry every day. Still pursuing but back so I see what options are available. We shall see.

Phone keeps putting but back but I meant “buy back”

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar experience. Traded in my Gen 1 that was two weeks out of warranty with some issues for a Gen 2 with 7,800 miles or so. 3 weeks later, engine was rattling, low on oil, etc. Dropped it off at a local dealer and they replaced the motor. I was pissed, but Ford gave me a month payment back. Truck went back again a month later for a defective sunroof, grinding from front hubs and rattling again in the motor. They replaced the valve covers, fixed the sunroof tracks and replaced IWE check valves. I just dropped it off again last night for a rear differential whine. A part of me really wants to consult with a lemon law attorney, but I know for a fact I'm just opening a can of worms in the long run. Ford gave me a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty at the time of purchase, warranty for engine was reset when they replaced it and then I just bought PremiumCare for 7yr/100k.

My thought process worked in two ways. I might have a case here with Ford, but once I pursue it, then what? I have a feeling no matter what way I twist it, if I want a new Raptor, I'm going to have to pay for something out of pocket, which I do not want to do. Another part of me says, I do have remaining warranty for a generous amount of time and the dealer that has been performing the work are awesome to deal with. It's not their fault, but they have been doing their best. They even detailed my truck last time it was there and did an incredible job (coming from a guy who owns a carwash/detail center). I think I'm going to keep the truck because I wanted Avalanche Grey the second I saw it, with every option I wanted and other than the issues, it's been good to me. Sure, might suck when I want to trade it in or sell it, but hey, life isn't perfect. You win some, you lose some still sucks though!

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude... new engine is no big deal. It sucks that's its only at 1300 miles... would have been better at 30k.

These engines are virtually plug and play... the crate engines are so complete that its just a matter of a few bolts, connecting the wiring harnesses and the pluming, and some programming.

My wife's BMW X5 received a new ZF 8 Speed transmission under warranty at 68,000... the thing ran smoother and shifted better than ever before. When we sold it, we highlighted the new trans as a selling point!